She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

I would almost pay to see that.... lmao...

I would drive to SC to see that but I know It ain't gonna happen. So Amy as I've been buzzing through ran across one of your post about this being family friendly thread and what I'd would like to know is what kind of family that would be . for a week or more I've been getting side ads to hook up with women for lets just say trash talk. you know like those 900 numbers I know the BYC gets funds by advertising but was a little shocked to see these ads .on a family friendly thread. But we need not forget this is still the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and while I might not like what someone says I respect their right to say it as long as it is not vulgar .you can't stop people from being rude or insulting. a person who stoops to this hasn't learned to walk upright yet so we must forgive them. once fully evolved they might look back and see they were wrong about many things or maybe not at that time you cull and move on . I have rules simple rules no one is allowed to talk down to me. only one person as a signed contract to yell at me and no one cheats me out of money more than once. and there has only been a few of those. see you can talk about grown up stuff on here.
old.gif

man this story is a lot longer than I thought .this place was right across the road from the Cumberland river and there was a boat launch and parking area there .there was also a Texas Eastern gas line that ran be hind the property . We used that to get to the back of the property . we had walked about four miles when we got to the property line . and there it was I could just see the gooseneck post of my trailer beside a tree a hundred yards through the woods . Ron said I looked like a bird dog I dropped to one knee and pointed . ain't going to tell you what I said so Now I say let's get the sheriff . Ron say no let's make sure we need to get closer so off we go through the woods till we're standing beside it . but I knew it was mine from a Hundred yards away . but now Ron won't leave the trailer says you've be hunting this thing for a mount I'm staying right here. I ran back to the car drove to get the sheriff . when I get to the sheriff's office Its dark almost pitch black . Run through the door out of breath and very tired . You would think I had just dropped the crime of the century in their lap . made one mistake. I didn't have the police report with me the sheriff was feeding his cows . couldn't go back with out either . the theft report had to be sent from Nashville via teletype . the sheriff is going to meet us there . this takes forever while we're waiting this older deputy tells me how the guy that lives on that farm threatens a deer hunter with a gun. tells him if he's not gone in ten seconds he will kill him . this makes me nervous I'm telling them we need to get back up there and about Ron watching the trailer . they wanted to know if he had a gun . I told them no. no guns just Ron they say he'll be ok and I tell them ain't Ron I'm worried about . WV will understand this there's no such thing as an ex Marine . we finely get back I wasn't allowed to go to the door , they denied the trailer was there but it was ok if they went ant looked . Ron met use at the edge of the woods had a big stick in his hands . Now I fond my trailer but he had ripped off the ID tag and my tags were gone . I had described my trailer to them at the sheriff's office every little detail . but couldn't get it they impounded my trailer and waited for the TBI to tell them it was mine . that took a week . the thief was arrested never saw the inside of a jail cell. because of the value they put on my trailer was to low . according to Nashville . I was there for his trail and his sentencing hearing . when the judge gave him His sentence I stood up and said I was not happy with it and told him all the trouble he had caused me . the Judge then ordered him to pay me $2500.00 in restitution . made it a condition of his probation . I got 21 of it . my wife was so afraid she made me get a P.O. box for him to mail the checks to. I was never afraid . Well only once that night when we found it I was afraid we would get back to a dead or badly hurt trailer thief . Funny thing both police departments wanted me to apply for a job . both said they wished they could me five minutes alone with him . I told them both no on the job and if I had wanted him hurt he would already be hurt. The people who new about what I had done went from the Governor to every local sheriff's department in middle TN. for a couple of years after that I got calls from people wanting to know how to do what I did . and that is the rest of the story . I'll tell you about Ron and the white oak creek another time.

90% of our flocks are from shipped eggs... and with the exception of 1 pen (and that is already being changed) all our breeds are from at least 2 different lines/breeders for good genetic diversity...

I've received many, many boxes of eggs... some packed well, others not so much... key in well packed eggs isn't necessarily the materials and methods, it is the snug suspension of the eggs... I've had them shipped to me in cartons and done well, also in the foam egg blocks and they were totally scrambled...

Double boxing works well as long as the inner box cannot shift around... a single box will work well if the inside is lined with enough padding... the eggs need to be snuggly packed and good shock absorbing material around the outside of them... funny enough, carpet padding works really well... air cell up is best as is marking the box fragile and this end up... I do not go for the 'live hatching eggs' markings, those have seemed to be the most beat up...

But, this can all be done and still get scrambled eggs... another factor is which PO hubs did the box go through and how many... I've found it is not the distance they travel, it's the transfer points they go through... some hubs are more likely to cause damages than others, for instance if a box goes through Nashville to me it's ok, but if it has to go through the Memphis PO hub, I know it's gonna come scrambled each time... (Memphis transfers their twice and takes 2 days to come out of the city, dunno why)

If you can ask the sender to send the eggs packed a specific way, then ask... good breeders and people will listen... if they argue then (and this is really hard) walk away and find someone else... do not keep trying to get eggs from a source that is not going to help your odds in hatching from the end they control...

My birds are not the best of the best, but they're not total junk either... I am truthful in what needs work and what I have going... anyone who says their birds are all perfect SQ and that is what you'll get as well, is full of it and you should walk away then... I don't sell eggs yet per se, as some things need a bit more work than I am happy with releasing... but I do offer some of my eggs as a decent start to ones I feel deserve it... but if they can't accept that anything be less than perfect I will refuse and move on as well...

As for incubating shipped eggs, at that point the damage that has been done to any eggs is done... all you can do is your best and hope that you get any live hatches... eggs were never meant to be shipped so my thoughts behind it is if a single chick survives, then that is a success...

Btw, if you take an egg in your hand and shake the crud out of it, it can scramble that way as well... so even the best packing ever cannot stop damage caused by the box just get shaken excessively...

Oops, sorry that was a lot... anyways, just my experiences and hope they help someone...

The Little Giant Still-Air Incubator Model 9200 is a tried-and-true way to incubate and hatch eggs. I tried, that's true
Durable Styrofoam retains warmth, generated by a gentle(erratic) heating element controlled by a highly undependable, solid-state thermostat. The thermostat can be easily adjusted at small increments to suit varying environments assuming your environments are Antarctica or Death Valley. Built-in moisture channels allow the addition of water to the bottom of the incubator to help maintain humidity, a key factor in egg health. (Not Included, needs replaced from hardware store,)
hu.gif
The water channels aren't included? Mesh screen safely supports eggs during hatch period, keeping your chicks at the optimal elevation to walk into the whirring blades of death. Two 4 in. x 8 in. viewing windows allow for monitoring the hatching process and are great for educational purposes such as teaching children that all chicks aren't cute, fluffy, happy little bundles of joy. Teach them the cruelty of life at a young age. Get 'em ready. Holds 59 large chicken eggs or up to 100 small chicken eggs when used with the Little Giant
00ae.png
Automatic Egg Turner if you stack them tightly on top of one another and duct tape the lid shut. This product is intended for general poultry hobbyists and is not recommended for professional or commercial use or for incubating exotic birds, such as chickens or ducks.

well I guess the cats out of the bag . yes I went to Our Rayven's today . could have spent much more time with her and Jim and all of those pretty chickens .she has so many different breeds I can't remember all of them . I even liked the ducks . came home with three dozen hatching eggs . when she says they live on a hill she means it. to get a view like that I would need to climb on top of my house and still not be close . little chickens big chickens and everyone just beautiful . you leave thinking wish I had enough coops to have some of those and some of those and some of those . went there to get Am splits Marans and Cream Leg Bars. came home with a couple of Aruacana's and a couple Sulmtalers too . now to get them hatched . Rayven is just as nice and funny in person as she is on here . got a big hug . getting there and leaving . meeting someone from the gang was great . thank you Ravyn for having me . and thank you Amylynn for starting this thread without you today would not have happened .
thumbsup.gif
and I loved it

Going a bit off topic.....

So Buster has really come around over the last week. He hasn't had any triggers/episodes since day 2. He has become pretty trustful and more and more affectionate. He enjoys being petted and doesn't usually flinch. He hasn't got to the giving kisses point yet, but he looks for attention and wants to be inside now rather than out. He loves his walks and especially his treats. He doesn't sleep upstairs with us and still won't or can't (haven't figured out which yet,) get on the couch or bed yet and generally stays downstairs as it gets pretty warm upstairs and he pants when he's up here.

He's not a barker or whiner, but tonight I heard him give out a yelp. A minute later another bark/yelp so of course I went down to investigate. Once I got downstairs I heard my father in his bedroom struggling for breath. I hurried to set him up with a neb treatment and calm him down. (He goes into a panick attack-understandably-when he can't breath.) I never heard a thing before Buster's alert. I don't know what would have happened w/o Buster alerting me, but I'm glad I didn't have to find out. Of course he got lots of loving and a treat. And I swear this dog smiles!

Whew.... Ok more than halfway into day 20.

I have 7 silkies out, all 7 of the Spitzhaubens, two of the green eggs (one nn one not). 5 pipped silkie eggs, one green egg in hospital -middle of assisting- for not enough moisture loss causeing a very large chick who couldn't turn with excess fluid in the shell. Prognosis=hopeful.

I have to share a pic of one of the silkie chicks. My fav pic thus far:

OK so Tracy, is your duck broody?  the only thing she needs is access to WATER, as long as she can get into some water she will COOL herself down.  I understand she's blind but again, Even though she is I'm sure she's still able to find food and water.  If that's the case, she's all good.

As far as being cold, I doubt it.  They can tolerate cold weather, all heat is processed through there feet.  The feet makes all the necessary adjustments.  So I wouldn't worry about a fan, I wouldn't worry about a heating lamp, I wouldn't worry about anything but making sure she has water.... and food.  Let her be a mommy, she's GOT THIS..

I know you're trying to help but you may want to give up on this. I've told this person multiple times in multiple threads the exact same thing and she is adamant that she needs to mess with her broody ducks, put heat lamps over them, put heat pads under them and their eggs, and now something about adding a shower curtain? This is all in Las Vegas Nevada where it is very hot, so this poster is putting hot heat lamps and heating pads on possible broody ducks (we don't know for sure they're actually broody) and is probably overheating both them and the eggs. Also the eggs might not even be fertile because at one point they had separated the drake from the females and no word on if they were ever put back together so at this point the eggs may not even be fertile. Also the female ducks were still laying eggs, a sure sign of not actually being broody (which this poster was also told).

On the incubator front, they have stated that they are doing this outside. Yes, their incubators are running outside in the hot Nevada sun and elements. When told this was the problem and to bring them in, they said they can't because it would hurt a family member's health to run them inside. So this might give you some insight on why they are having so many problems. But now they're talking about different room temps so maybe they did bring them inside? We don't know.

The frustration you are seeing above is stemming from the fact that this poster posts multiple times across multiple threads (usually copying and pasting) asking for the same advice that they have already been given. They take none of the advice and come up with their own 'solutions' that don't work and then come back and ask for help again, rinse and repeat.

Anyway this post might also help anyone who wants to give advice to know exactly what this poster's set up is, so if you have any tips that might work with this kind of incubator setup feel free to post them, but at this rate I don't think this person will ever get eggs to hatch.

Last edited:
LOL, I thought you weren't the jealous type? It's a social forum thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/917810/mountain-peeps-awesome-chat-thread-all-friends-welcome
They are #1, we're #2
Pushaw, that's just a silly little chat thread
roll.png

This is a highly informative piece of literary genius
old.gif

A cornucopia of highly evolved theories
old.gif

The mecca for the best and brightest minds of the hatching world to come together for the betterment of chickendom
old.gif

Nah, nevermind, this one's flocking crazy
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom