I had what I highly suspect was blackhead in one of my really young pullets. No external symptoms other than her sulfer almost neon yellow poop and urate. I humanely culled as she just want not improving at all and was getting worse. Same thing, lethargic, hardly eating or drinking.
After culling, I opened her up and found sound lesions on her liver and lung. Everything I've read (and everyone who helped) believed it was blackhead.
I think to my understanding, there is no approved treatment available.. But let us know what the vet says

I had what I highly suspect was blackhead in one of my really young pullets. No external symptoms other than her sulfer almost neon yellow poop and urate. I humanely culled as she just want not improving at all and was getting worse. Same thing, lethargic, hardly eating or drinking.
After culling, I opened her up and found sound lesions on her liver and lung. Everything I've read (and everyone who helped) believed it was blackhead.
I think to my understanding, there is no approved treatment available.. But let us know what the vet says
Symptoms of blackhead (internally) happen to be lesions and ulcers on kidneys and liver... :hit

Chickens are usually asymptomatic carriers.
Next time you lose a bird you should really get a necropsy done by your state lab.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/histomoniasis/histomoniasis-in-poultry

How old is your hen and does she still lay eggs? Could the comb color and wounds, just be from bullying and pecking?
Yellow droppings can sometimes be from having a reproductive infection. It could be that she is not eating enough, and that is why she is lethargic and weak. I would remove her, and try to get her drinking some electrolytes or gatorade by holding a small scoop up to her beak. Offer wet chicken feed soaked in water and a little cooked egg. Blackhead is more of a disease of turkeys, but not impossible for a chicken to have. If you see the vet, let us know what they have to say. Be sure to ask them to test her poop for worms and parasites.

How old is your hen and does she still lay eggs? Could the comb color and wounds, just be from bullying and pecking?
Yellow droppings can sometimes be from having a reproductive infection. It could be that she is not eating enough, and that is why she is lethargic and weak. I would remove her, and try to get her drinking some electrolytes or gatorade by holding a small scoop up to her beak. Offer wet chicken feed soaked in water and a little cooked egg. Blackhead is more of a disease of turkeys, but not impossible for a chicken to have. If you see the vet, let us know what they have to say. Be sure to ask them to test her poop for worms and parasites.
I got my hens as 1 week old chicks April 7 2018. Over 2 years old. Out of 7 I get 2 - 3 eggs a day..
The color could potentially be from bullying. They did grab her on the waddle and peck the back of her head there so it could be major bruising. I already have her removed, she’s in a tote. I have access to electrolytes in Hydro Hen powder, so I will give her that. She does have pellet feed so I will mix it with water and give her little at a time. I appreciate your reply, I will keep everyone informed!

-Update 2: I’ve given her a good amount of water... she’s drinking quite a bit... which is useful as I have probiotics, acidifiers, and electrolytes in it. Unfortunately some of the symptoms of blackhead are increased thirst, decreased appetite, lethargy, and, well, black head.. Not trying to pick a disease and base her symptoms off of the disease to look for problems per se, but that’s the closest thing I can find. I’ve given her water and she has stood up now and she seems slightly more energetic... prayers appreciated.

I would be surprised if this turns out to be blackhead, since it is very rare in chickens. They do not get a black head. There are so may other illnesses that cause lethargy and weakness. She may have been bullied and kept from drinking and eating, or she may be weakened from a reproductive infection or disorder. Coccidiosis can sometimes affect older hens, so taking in some of her fresh droppings from tonight would be good.

I would be surprised if this turns out to be blackhead, since it is very rare in chickens. They do not get a black head. There are so may other illnesses that cause lethargy and weakness. She may have been bullied and kept from drinking and eating, or she may be weakened from a reproductive infection or disorder. Coccidiosis can sometimes affect older hens, so taking in some of her fresh droppings from tonight would be good.
I’ve dealt with coccidiosis and I treat their water with Corid frequently, so I know it’s not that.. this? This is completely new to me... I’m glad to hear it’s not black head, perhaps she will have a better chance...

Back
Top Bottom