7 week old Chick acting unsteady on her feet

llenger

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 23, 2014
Bussey, IA
I have 25 7 week old chicks and recently expanded there pin (the chicks are actually in my attached garage, we have a wood stove so it stays nice and warm, they haven't been around any other birds, we have cats but they don't bother them). Soon after it was finished I had a chick that would just lay around, acting "drunk", very wobbly when she walks (all other chicks are completely fine). She is in a box all by herself, she is eating and drinking, and seems to be pooping normal. This happen Saturday afternoon(Jan. 17, 2015). I have been giving her a little sugar water and she seems to be alert, feet and legs look good, she just is wobbly/unsteady. I think I will start poly vitamins no-iron tonight and see if that helps. If anyone has any words of wisdom that would be great! Thanks!

There can be so many reasons...

Is the chick showing any signs of blood in the poop?

Feathers fluffed out ?

If so....I would suspect cocci...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

She may have a Vitamin deficiency....

You can give her Vitamin B and Vitamin E supplements

You can add Corid to the water and give foods containing the above Vitamins...neither of which will cause any harm to the chick....

Her poop is normal....green and white. Her feathers are laid down. She does let her wings fall down as if she gets tired but they aren't down all the time.

Blood is not always a symptom with coccocidiosis . The listlessness you are describing certainly sounds like cocci. Depending on where you live , there are amprolium products readily available to treat your birds. It is best to treat all of them. I would also recommend worming after treatment.
If you are based in the US , the product you are looking for is corrid.

Last edited:
Blood is not always a symptom with coccocidiosis . The listlessness you are describing certainly sounds like cocci. Depending on where you live , there are amprolium products readily available to treat your birds. It is best to treat all of them. I would also recommend worming after treatment.
If you are based in the US , the product you are looking for is corrid.
x2 they are just at the right age to get coccidiosis - certainly wise to consider it.

How do they catch coccocidiosis? I purcahsed them from a hatchery and they haven't been around any other birds and they haven't been outside. I live in southern Iowa so I have access to a couple farm stores. Thanks!

How do they catch coccocidiosis? I purcahsed them from a hatchery and they haven't been around any other birds and they haven't been outside. I live in southern Iowa so I have access to a couple farm stores. Thanks!

They may have come to you with coccocidiosis . It's not until the numbers of Protozoa are in epidemic proportion that you see symptoms. Do you feed medicated starter?

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

Well when I got home she was actually completely normal. She was trying to jump out of her hospital box. So I'm hoping it was just a vitamin deficiency. I have been giving her Poly-Vi-Sol without iron 3 times a day. I put her back with the other chicks last night and she was running around and loving it. I am going to keep giving her extra vitamins and hopefully she will do great. I think she will benefit from free ranging this summer. Thanks everyone for all the advice!

That is what makes it all worthwhile...to hear of positive news..so very happy for you and your chick!

Thanks for updating...that has made my day!!!!

Back
Top Bottom