Advice on raising an Exchequer Leghorn chick- Is slower development normal?

KatieAnnFrench

Chirping
Apr 5, 2019
92F3DFB2-2E0E-4EDB-BE5A-D9E81800FA4D.png
DACA59AA-7490-445E-9453-19D6726EE655.jpeg
I have a flock of 7 chicks who are all about 1 week old (1 died in the mail ). They are: easter eggers, a golden laced wyandotte, a lavender and a buff orpington, the leghorn, and a black australorp. All except the Leghorn have just about doubled in size. My Leghorn seems to eat and drink, but is just so small still. I put out extra food dishes so she can eat without being pushed by the other chicks, which she seems to like! She has also enjoyed eating grass (w/ grit on the side). She hasnt shown any other signs of illness, knock on wood. I noticed her little wings are developing, but much slower to the others. I have 2 easter eggers who have lost their wing fluff completely, and look much older. It almost seems as though the hatchery sent me chicks of different ages, because some are so much more developed than others. Has anyone experienced this?

Also, and most importantly- does anyone have pictures of their Exchequer Leghorn as a chick? I can’t find any good reference photos online. I would love to compare their development to see if I should be worried. Thank you!!!

Different development rates is normal... they have different genetics. ;)

As long as you aren't seeing any lethargy and the chick is eating and drinking and pooing... then I wouldn't worry. Leghorn is a fairly small breed. :fl

Lovely chicks! :love

This makes me feel much better!! Thank you- they’re my first bunch so I’m extra-nervous about their health. I’ll watch her to make sure she’s eating and drinking and pooping!

Different development rates is normal... they have different genetics. ;)

As long as you aren't seeing any lethargy and the chick is eating and drinking and pooing... then I wouldn't worry. Leghorn is a fairly small breed. :fl

Lovely chicks! :love
Are you sure it isn’t the bantam type- I have bantam and large foul in exchequers

Agreed, unless she's showing signs of illness I wouldn't worry about it. It's kind of like worrying that a beagle puppy is smaller than a bloodhound puppy. They have different genetics. Leghorns are a Mediterranean breed and they are smaller and lighter than the dual purpose breeds, which is what all of your other chicks are.

Back
Top Bottom