Amprol / coccidiosis question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jm14580, Feb 3, 2013.

1. jm14580

jm14580 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    We lost a rooster to what we believe was coccidiosis. A hen has come down with the same symptoms. We treated her with Amprol on friday. She is drinking fine, but still has really bad diarriah 3 days later. Is this normal?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could be worms instead of cocci. You can take fecal samples to a vet to be analyzed if you wish, then you'll know for sure.

3. jm14580

jm14580 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    We thought the rooster had worms so we dewormed all of the chickens already. The rooster died and the hen got sick so we looked up the symptoms and came up with the cocci. We treated with amprol, but she still has the diarriah. We were not sure how long the amprol takes before you see the diarriah stop. She seems to be eating a little better now. Thanks for your reply.

4. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

How long after you dewormed the rooster before he died? I have a pullet with Coccidiosis that I have been treating with Corid 9.6% since yesterday (in the water). She also still has dirreah some. It's sometimes not and sometimes is. She was coughing for 2 wks and I was treating her for what I thought was a respiratory infection with Tetracycline, with no improvement, while waiting for the necropsy report. Just got a partial report back Sat. confirming that those pullets (she came with) had several different kinds of worms, and Coccidiosis, and further testing being done for Marek's or Lymphoma (don't yet know about that yet). So, she ate and drank well the whole time, and still does, but the diarreah is still going sometimes. Supposed to treat for 5 days with this med. I'm concerned about the rooster however, because he had recovered from the symptoms, but I found a worm (tape, I'm pretty sure) yesterday, so now I have to worm him, and haven't treated him for cocci. Hoping that the worming won't relapse him or make him sick again or worse, kill him. What symptoms did your rooster have? Worried

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Some strains of Cocci are resistant to Amprol. In that case use Sulfadimethoxine.

6. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

How will you know if it doesn't work since you can't see the things? If the symptoms don't completely go away within 6 or7 days, then we will know that they were not eradicated? Since you have to treat for 5 days. I was thinking we should be seeing some improvement after the first 3 days? Will the bubbly eyes go away also?

7. jm14580

jm14580 New Egg

Feb 3, 2013
    With bubbly eyes I would say its respiratory. I would treat with tylan-50 injected into the breast. You will have to look up the dosage. I cant remember it off the top of my head. It may be a combo of cocci and respiratory. The cocci probably depletes the immune system or vice versa. They have vet rx too that you can rub on the comb and beak. Its like liquid vic vapor rub. The tylan will work wonders, but do it asap.

8. BigDaddyGPLN

BigDaddyGPLN New Egg

May 13, 2014
    I'm a poultry bacteriologist. "Bubbly eyes" does sound like a concurrent respiratory illness, more than just the Cocci. More than likely Mycoplasma gallisepticum, or "MG". Antibiotics definitely indicated. Sulfa or oxytetracycline.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

There is an antibiotic table here that you might find useful. Not positive, but I don't think sulfa drugs aren't very effective in treating MG.
    http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/gamebirds.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  10. Bird biz

Bird biz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Hi, my chicken has grean diarrhea, there is no paralysis, is eating a little and of course losing weight and strength. I tried giving her tetracycline but still unclear what I should do. I don't think we have worms in Colorado. the other 7 chickens are okay but I decided to separate the sick one. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by