Amprol / coccidiosis question

jm14580

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
We lost a rooster to what we believe was coccidiosis. A hen has come down with the same symptoms. We treated her with Amprol on friday. She is drinking fine, but still has really bad diarriah 3 days later. Is this normal?

We lost a rooster to what we believe was coccidiosis. A hen has come down with the same symptoms. We treated her with Amprol on friday. She is drinking fine, but still has really bad diarriah 3 days later. Is this normal?
Could be worms instead of cocci. You can take fecal samples to a vet to be analyzed if you wish, then you'll know for sure.

We thought the rooster had worms so we dewormed all of the chickens already. The rooster died and the hen got sick so we looked up the symptoms and came up with the cocci. We treated with amprol, but she still has the diarriah. We were not sure how long the amprol takes before you see the diarriah stop. She seems to be eating a little better now. Thanks for your reply.

How long after you dewormed the rooster before he died? I have a pullet with Coccidiosis that I have been treating with Corid 9.6% since yesterday (in the water). She also still has dirreah some. It's sometimes not and sometimes is. She was coughing for 2 wks and I was treating her for what I thought was a respiratory infection with Tetracycline, with no improvement, while waiting for the necropsy report. Just got a partial report back Sat. confirming that those pullets (she came with) had several different kinds of worms, and Coccidiosis, and further testing being done for Marek's or Lymphoma (don't yet know about that yet). So, she ate and drank well the whole time, and still does, but the diarreah is still going sometimes. Supposed to treat for 5 days with this med. I'm concerned about the rooster however, because he had recovered from the symptoms, but I found a worm (tape, I'm pretty sure) yesterday, so now I have to worm him, and haven't treated him for cocci. Hoping that the worming won't relapse him or make him sick again or worse, kill him. What symptoms did your rooster have? Worried

How will you know if it doesn't work since you can't see the things? If the symptoms don't completely go away within 6 or7 days, then we will know that they were not eradicated? Since you have to treat for 5 days. I was thinking we should be seeing some improvement after the first 3 days? Will the bubbly eyes go away also?

With bubbly eyes I would say its respiratory. I would treat with tylan-50 injected into the breast. You will have to look up the dosage. I cant remember it off the top of my head. It may be a combo of cocci and respiratory. The cocci probably depletes the immune system or vice versa. They have vet rx too that you can rub on the comb and beak. Its like liquid vic vapor rub. The tylan will work wonders, but do it asap.

I'm a poultry bacteriologist. "Bubbly eyes" does sound like a concurrent respiratory illness, more than just the Cocci. More than likely Mycoplasma gallisepticum, or "MG". Antibiotics definitely indicated. Sulfa or oxytetracycline.

I'm a poultry bacteriologist. "Bubbly eyes" does sound like a concurrent respiratory illness, more than just the Cocci. More than likely Mycoplasma gallisepticum, or "MG". Antibiotics definitely indicated. Sulfa or oxytetracycline.
Welcome to BYC!

There is an antibiotic table here that you might find useful. Not positive, but I don't think sulfa drugs aren't very effective in treating MG.
http://www.octagon-services.co.uk/articles/poultry/gamebirds.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hi, my chicken has grean diarrhea, there is no paralysis, is eating a little and of course losing weight and strength. I tried giving her tetracycline but still unclear what I should do. I don't think we have worms in Colorado. the other 7 chickens are okay but I decided to separate the sick one. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom