Are minted peas okay for ducks, chickens and turkeys?

majasdee

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2015
Wellington, New Zealand
Can anyone tell me if minted peas are okay for ducks, chickens and turkeys?

I know normal peas are just not sure about minted. I hate minted peas so thought I'd give my babies a treat rather than toss them out.

Can anyone also what treats are suitable for them as well especially for turkey. Is capsicum okay? Rice dishes? Plums? Peaches? Nuts?

I mostly feed them on wheat and layer pellets. But give them treats like tomato, banana, broccoli, silver beet, lettuce, normal peas and the occasional mash potato and corn on the cob.

Any advice would be appreciated n.n

I don't know why or how but peas, beans, and indeed most seeds of "Legumes" are toxic, but not poisons to chickens. Maybe beans just give hens gas like they do for humans. That maybe why soybeans are first cooked or roasted and then de-fatted or the soybean oil is removed before the beans are turned into soy meal for chicken feed.

Time about is fair play, what are minted peas?

On the peas - minted or otherwise - I'm not sure, as I don't eat legumes anymore myself, so I never have them on hand to feed the birds. I do recall giving them leftovers from meat and bean chili in the past, but it was never much. They never seemed to have issue from it, but it was an infrequent occurrence and they never got but a little that I scraped out of the bottom of the crock pot.

On the subject of Mint, however, I've let my chickens run loose through areas of garden where they weren't able to damage anything, and they never even touched my Mint there. I don't think they're likely fond of it. I do have a cautionary note to impart, since you said your "babies" and I'm not sure whether you mean actual chicks or are just referring to them fondly as such. Mint has a cooling effect on the human body, and I've used it for a couple of other animals to help with heat issues. In the case of chicks, I'd never give it to them just because they're so small and I'd be concerned it might lower their temperatures too much.

All the other foods you asked about are fine. Capsicum, in particular, I would often sprinkle in the form of pepper powders into their other foods. It aids as an anti-parasite food and stimulates increased blood circulation (which can be really important in colder places during harsh Winter temperatures, and in older birds).

Cooked rice is fine, as are the plums, peaches and nuts. For anything over the size of a pine nut, I always put them in a bag or something flexible that I can seal up and stomp on them to break them up into smaller pieces, just to avoid potential choking hazards in their moments of tasty treats zeal.

Back
Top Bottom