Good morning! I was wondering when did everyone’s girls start to lay? I have two Rhode island reds, two prairie bluebell easter eggers, and two light bramahas that are 16 weeks and I have a buff orpington, white leghorn, and americana easter egger that are 8 weeks. This is my first personal flock. What was your experience with these breeds?
It always seems like FOREVER till you get your initial set laying. My first was 19 weeks and regular laying was 23-24 weeks for me. Enjoy the crazy antics in the meantime.

Red sexlinks: 16-20wks
Brahmas: usually I hatch them in february-april and they start laying in mid-january. I had one who began at about 28wks old (hatched in april and started in november)
Australorp: about 20wks old
I recently got two pairs of bantam cochins, they're about 16wks old. One of the two females has a very red comb, we'll see when will they begin

Whiting true blue-22 weeks
Buff orpington- 23 weeks
Light brahma-22 weeks
Olive egger- just shy of 18 weeks
Blue orpington- not laying 23 weeks old
Welsummer- not laying 23 weeks old

It's enough to make you crazy, lol. My welsummer has had all the signs(super red comb and wattles, squatting, checking out the nest boxes) for 3 weeks and every day I think will be the day, but no dice🤣

My lavender orpington just started yesterday at 22-23 weeks and I’m pretty sure my EE of the same age is laying somewhere in the forest and has been because she looks mature. My 16-17 RIR hasn’t started yet.

One of my black copper marans laid her first egg today! The first egg of the flock. 20 weeks and 1 day old. I was so happy I cried when I found this perfect little dark brown egg in the box! The white egg in the photo is fake.
Awww! I think I’ll cry as well when I see an egg for the first time! These are my first chickens ever and I am spending so much time learning and trying to keep them healthy and safe. They are 13 weeks and I’m currently spending a lot of time thinking about their egg hatches. I’ve had them blocked off, and am envisioning the girls next chapter! Have fun! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom