Awww! I think I’ll cry as well when I see an egg for the first time! These are my first chickens ever and I am spending so much time learning and trying to keep them healthy and safe. They are 13 weeks and I’m currently spending a lot of time thinking about their egg hatches. I’ve had them blocked off, and am envisioning the girls next chapter! Have fun! 🐓❤️
LADIES I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT I JUST GOT MY FIRST EGG AT 19weeks and 3 DAYS!!!! Pretty sure it was my rhode island red hen.

Attachments

• 372C9CF5-8654-4622-9379-B37B50DC8F7F.jpeg
    372C9CF5-8654-4622-9379-B37B50DC8F7F.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 18
With my first batch I got my first egg at 16 weeks and they started laying pretty steady around 19-20. I think I just got my first egg from this batch though it’s incredibly early at 15 weeks today. It’s much smaller than the rest of the eggs and blood streaked which usually means it’s a pullet egg for me.
Holy crap that’s early! Poor girl!!

I’m seeing ppl write 7 or 8 months..that seems long..mine are 17 weeks this week, I was thinking of uncovering the boarded up laying boxes in the coop..is this too early? I thought I should let them see it’s a safe area (6 boxes with Japanese furoshiki material as curtains for 15 ladies) and have a chance to get used to it..
‘I since removed the heater to a different location, I was testing stuff out, these were construction photos..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 19
When your hens lay varies a lot. Certain breeds might lay earlier or later than others. You can usually find the average time period a breed will lay in but my BR laid eggs super late. One way you can tell if your girls are about to lay is if they squat for you. They usually lay a couple weeks after doing that

I’m seeing ppl write 7 or 8 months..that seems long..mine are 17 weeks this week, I was thinking of uncovering the boarded up laying boxes in the coop..is this too early? I thought I should let them see it’s a safe area (6 boxes with Japanese furoshiki material as curtains for 15 ladies) and have a chance to get used to it..
‘I since removed the heater to a different location, I was testing stuff out, these were construction photos..
The laying age depends on the breed. Once the hen is almost or fully developed, she will begin to lay. Brahmas need a lot of time to grow, the bigger males can take up to 1,5-2 years to be considered fully grown. The hens need less, but that's a lot in comparison to the breeds/hybrids selected only for egg production, like leghorns and red sexlinks. They were developed to begin laying as soon as possible, so they grow up faster and begin laying at 4 or 5 months old

I’d say keep it always open. You never know when they could lay, and also it’s good for them to get used to the nesting boxes and know where to lay

What did you use to hold the curtains?? 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom