Pics
They are such prey animals, so wary, so quick to react, don’t you feel special when they trust you so much they’ll sleep on you?
Its my favorite thing 🐓❤️

Attachments

• 4BB3C173-0FDF-4229-A708-C4B326C00681.jpeg
    4BB3C173-0FDF-4229-A708-C4B326C00681.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 7
Good morning! I was wondering when did everyone’s girls start to lay? I have two Rhode island reds, two prairie bluebell easter eggers, and two light bramahas that are 16 weeks and I have a buff orpington, white leghorn, and americana easter egger that are 8 weeks. This is my first personal flock. What was your experience with these breeds?
First time flock owner as well
My Barred Rocks (I have 3) all started laying within a week of each other, starting around 18 1/2 weeks. We definitely had some hiccups ie soft shelled/ no shell sometimes twice a day from the same pullet 😳 eggs for about a week but things seem to have worked themselves out 😌. SLW's are the same age, then I have EE's about 18 weeks, they're ALL really thinking about it! Plump red combs/wattles, squatting, checking out the nest boxes and the other ladies while they lay! The coop was "the" place to be today and I'm loving it! I also have New Hampshire Red's that are 16 weeks that aren't showing any signs yet.

Good morning! I was wondering when did everyone’s girls start to lay? I have two Rhode island reds, two prairie bluebell easter eggers, and two light bramahas that are 16 weeks and I have a buff orpington, white leghorn, and americana easter egger that are 8 weeks. This is my first personal flock. What was your experience with these breeds?
Great idea!!

1. Easter Egger laid at 18 weeks, took 9 days off and has laid steadily for 13 days so far.
2. Rhode Island Red laid at 19 weeks, took 2 days off, and is laying steadily.
3. Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte of 20 weeks is spending time on the nest and singing the egg song. Any day now.
4. Sapphire Gem of 17 weeks is spending time on the nest. Any day now!!

I'll update and also add the Barred Rocks, Leghorns (now 17 weeks), and Bielefelders (now 18 weeks) when they start.

Last edited:
If we count six months from January 1 to July 1, you have 26 weeks. But if we count weeks, it's only 24 weeks. When we say a certain breed or individual pullet started laying, which way are we counting?

Back
Top Bottom