Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Kids would love a cat but unfortunately I'm allergic. Had one as a kid though that looked a lot like your black and white telia, but with less white. He was called mo because of the white moustache :). You see so many similar I've often wondered if it's almost become a breed though I always thought he was a Siamese mix.

Our cousins and friends were all scared of him, and I was only game to pick him up if he was already standing. You couldn't hesitate though or in went the teeth if he sensed it. Loved him to bits all the same :)

PS. I am actually 'working' at the moment but with the school holidays I think half our firm has gone on holidays so we are really quiet. I work in IT Support and apparently, no-one needs help at the moment so I am stalking BYC!
lau.gif

Sorry to hear you are allergic apps; I believe cats are beautiful pets. How about a hairless??! I say that in jest, not my cup of tea at all .. eeew! Some are quite unattractive in a cute sort of way but I patted one once, just does not feel right!

Yep, gotta love the milk-mo! Maybe they should be a breed .. Milkmo :)

The Vet reckons that Syba is part oriental; this would explain all the noise when hubby left him for a week! Chimee is a bit of this and a bit of that and she is definitely the quiet one .. she has this tiny little meow that she makes, so cute!

So we are all cat lovers too. So are all your black cats evil too? Bella rubs and smooches our visitors and I have to tell them to ignore her. As soon as they reciprocate the pat she hisses and spats at them and it usually ends in tears. She devil.

Yep my one sure is! He goes after all the chicks, that's why we have to keep them locked up.
He also chases myBeau all around the house which Beau hates.

Can we talk medicated chick starter for a sec?

Getting organised so went to buy chick starter and nobody seems to sell medicated, they all sell something with a natural herb preventative instead. They said that while you can't give the real medicated to layer age this is fine.

Just wanted a second opinion before feeding to my broody.

Quote: Beau is a Burmese and Ziggy is a moggy.
Also I have PMed you?

Getting organised so went to buy chick starter and nobody seems to sell medicated, they all sell something with a natural herb preventative instead. They said that while you can't give the real medicated to layer age this is fine.

I feed all my chicks and their broodys mums medicated food.
I also feed ALL my other chickens medicated chick feed then supplement the layers with calcium for laying.

I always give the chicks medicated feed for the first 6 weeks. If your broody and chicks are not in with the flock there is no harm in the broody having amprolium.
If anything it may help her build immune system. Generally it's not recommended that layers have access to amprolium, yet the tub I have says ' no withholding period ' on eggs. Either way Broodiies don't usually lay for 4-6 weeks.
There are two chains of thought on this, one is medicate in the hope of building immunity and the other is not to medicate until you have a cocci outbreak.
Acv , garlic and herbs may lessen the incidence of cocci but if you get a full blown outbreak of cocci you will need to resort to amprolium.

Amprolium is a thiamine blocker and shouldn't be used for a prolonged period of time. Amongst other neurological conditions thiamine deficiency can lead to wryneck.

Last edited:
Fancy, you leave out the third option, which of course sounds a bit gruesome, but over time, culling the sick birds leaves you with resistant birds.

Felix once you have the Protozoa in the soil you would be culling everything. I've seen a 40 kilo goat die from cocci and once you have seen the intestine choked off by the coccidia you realize that this is something that you have to ' bring out the big guns ' for. Lowering the PH or increasing the sulphur levels may indeed make the gut less hospitable to them but it won't eliminate them.
Of course , keeping droppings to a minimum , raising feeders off the ground and away from wet spots will also help .

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/206/coccidiosis

Last edited:
The thing is when I ask for medicated here (at more than one feed store too) this is what they give you. I'm wondering how many people think they are medicating but aren't really. As it's only when you push they admit it's actually a natural one. I'll take a photo of the bag ingredients in the morning and see what you think.

I got this 20kg bag now but I don't know if it's going to do enough. Mind you this is what our others had as chicks as we didn't know any different and these will be only separated from that lot by a wire divider.

Back
Top Bottom