Baby chicks at the A.C.F. Rescue!

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
I posted a few weeks ago, informing you guys that we were having chicks arrive on the week of May 20th...
They arrived, all 7 of them, safe and sound! We got a call the day before for some breed switch-ups, which was fine by me. I got the breeds we wanted. :) We got a Barred Rock, a Australorp, a Speckled Sussex, a Brown Leghorn, a Buff Laced Polish, a Buff Orpington and a Delaware. As of today, they are all 3 days old. And boy... do I love being a chickie momma! What fun it is! We are thinking of naming them all after spices, such as Nutmeg, Ginger, Paprika, Sassfras (sassy), etc.

They are in a fairly good sized tub, and they are all happily milling around under the heat lamp, drinking and eating. (the thermostat was just there for a minute, it's not in there all the time :)

The Leghorn, the Buff Orpington and the Barred rock all passed out by the feed.

I gave them a small teddy bear to cuddle up to... and they love it :)

The delaware with her teddy!

The polish passed out after a long day of traveling.

The australorp standing atop the feed, letting everyone know she is queen! (She is my personal favorite, she is very friendly at such a young age.)

I believe this is the speckled sussex (can't tell them apart very well at this age... the sussex and the leghorn look the same!)

The barred rock giving me a stink eye. (What do you guys think? Gloria Jr.?)

The buff orpington

The leghorn sipping water after her long journey.

And finally, the polish. I believe we are going to name this one Sassafras, A.k.a. Sassy. :) We are naming all the birds after spices (e.g. cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, paprika, etc) and the polish is definetly Sassy!

Cuddled up against Teddy

The lineup of passed out chicks

No, she's not dead. She's just very tired from her long trip!

your chicks are so cute I have a little tip for you.they like to have pine shavings to scratch around in and too take naps in. I put newspaper in bottom of my box then pine shavings on top I sat their feeders and waters on top of bricks it keeps them a little cleaner.i also put a screen over top of box.they grow really fast and will try to escape.i cleaned box out once a week. ENJOY YOUR BABIES

your chicks are so cute I have a little tip for you.they like to have pine shavings to scratch around in and too take naps in. I put newspaper in bottom of my box then pine shavings on top I sat their feeders and waters on top of bricks it keeps them a little cleaner.i also put a screen over top of box.they grow really fast and will try to escape.i cleaned box out once a week. ENJOY YOUR BABIES

Yes, when they turn a week old I am switching them to shavings. :) I am just using paper towels now so they can get used to eating chick starter, and not the shavings.
wink.png

I often wonder what those chicks are thinking when traveling in a box to their new home. That's a nice selection you have there. I like using paper towels on new chicks, too. So easy to clean up after them and the dust from the shavings can cause problems in those tiny lungs.

Can't wait to see them all grown up!

Back
Top Bottom