broken wings??

BLast

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Tennessee
I got a new rooster yesterday. I was in need of one and had someone offer me one they were needing to get rid of. He and their main roo were not getting along. They told me that his tail feathers looked bad due to a dog attack. I didn't care so we took him anyways. Once I got him I noticed his wings are just hanging droopy and are bald at the shoulder area. Broken? He acts fine. He's crowing ans eating. He's a bit skinny.. is there anything I should do or do you think he will be ok? When he first got here my boss lady hen tried fighting him and he did lift wings so they work. They just hang when he's walking around.. I can post pic if needed. :) thanks all

He may be molting. Is he over a year old? They molt the first time around 14-18 months, then yearly thereafter. Feed him extra protein--I like to use 20% Flock Raiser because everyone gets a little extra protein without the extra calcium that roosters don't need. I put crushed oyster shell in a container for the layers to get whenever they need it. Throw him some scrambled eggs or a handful of gamebird feed now and then.

He's only 4-5 months I'm told. Sorry should have added that.. I'll post a pic of him. He's a bit of a mess from all the rain this morning. He's not going in the coop with the girls yet. :/

Last edited:

Sometimes they can look a bit rough at that age if they have been chased around by other roosters and maybe feather-picked by the other chickens. They will have a couple of mini-molts the first year also when they lose some feathers. He will probably be fine with some good nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom