Broodiness? I need help

Vanitychickens

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Ive noticed thepast week 1 of my hens hasnt been coming in the coop at night and only comes out for a bit in the day to eat with the rest if the birds is it a possibility shes laying somewhere and do hens get a little bit bigger when there broody? Its also hard to find her and her possible nest.

Sounds like she's sitting a secret stash. My girl stops laying entirely when she's ready to sit, but goes on a laying spree on the days leading up to it. Follow her back to the nest when you see her about - she won't stay off for more than an hour. And dispose of the eggs if they're not fertile (bacteria risk) or if you don't want chicks.
Broodiness is pretty obvious when you see it; she'll be animated and noisy when going about her business - calling lots of attention to herself. Some breeds are much more prone to brood than others.

Sounds like she's sitting a secret stash. My girl stops laying entirely when she's ready to sit, but goes on a laying spree on the days leading up to it. Follow her back to the nest when you see her about - she won't stay off for more than an hour. And dispose of the eggs if they're not fertile (bacteria risk) or if you don't want chicks.
Broodiness is pretty obvious when you see it; she'll be animated and noisy when going about her business - calling lots of attention to herself. Some breeds are much more prone to brood than others.
not necessarily, especially if you collect the eggs religiously, Mine would notice she would disapear for a bit but was always where she was supposed to be come feed time and roost time, next thing I know, she surprised us bringing 6 chicks in with her, and was just as first halve of the flock started molting, so you know egg production is going to be off, Luckily mine seem to do 2 groups for it so it's staggered, some of those girls can be super sneaky

not necessarily, especially if you collect the eggs religiously, Mine would notice she would disapear for a bit but was always where she was supposed to be come feed time and roost time, next thing I know, she surprised us bringing 6 chicks in with her, and was just as first halve of the flock started molting, so you know egg production is going to be off, Luckily mine seem to do 2 groups for it so it's staggered, some of those girls can be super sneaky
Yes indeed i shes been hiding very well cause shes been in love with the rooster and you know how that goes i just sont want her raising babys in the cold as montana is getting pretty cold here

Thanksyou and i know i want to find her secret stadh so i can help her so she and her possible chicks arent hurt by predators

Ok well i was walking around today watching my girls and a fed all my hens and i noticed not 1 but 3 girls seperated and and i found 2 nests 1 half way through growing in the eggs and the other just started and third one beginning to nest

Back
Top Bottom