California-Southern

I'm interested in all three and can pick them up this weekend! Were they vaccinated and are they healthy girls? Sorry, I'm asking because my friends whole flock had to be culled because someone sold him a sick bird without telling him ): Also, are they tame?

Yes, they have been vaccinated. All three are healthy. The two bantams are molting a bit, the buff is young and laying daily now. The mille fleur is a sweetie and just lets us all carry her. She has been to visit classrooms. The grey one is sweet and calm. The buff is more shy but a calm and quiet girl. I would love to meet you to deliver them or drop them to you as my youngest is sad to see them go and I'd rather not have her see them going away.

I'm interested in all three and can pick them up this weekend! Were they vaccinated and are they healthy girls? Sorry, I'm asking because my friends whole flock had to be culled because someone sold him a sick bird without telling him ): Also, are they tame?

That's really sad. Did he find out what was wrong with the sick bird, it is unusual to cull a whole flock...

HOLY €#%=¥&@!!!!!! Literally just had a super close call with a large hawk at around 7:30 this morning. I was still half asleep, but the encounter totally woke me up and made my heart pound like crazy.

Walnut, my POL pullet (SF x EO-Basque), was standing near our larger veggie bed. I was walking towards her direction. She started freaking out and I saw a blur in front. I stepped towards the blur, which dove towards the corner where Walnut was previously standing. It missed and was trying to push off the welded wire frame over the veggie bed. It knocked the wire frame off, and when the wings spread it was only about 3 ft from slapping my face. Am so glad I decided not to get closer in my frantic attempt to shoo it away. It was HUGE!!! Large body and large wingspan of at least 5'! I'm guessing it was a red-tailed hawk.

This is Walnut. She got quite a scare, but she's okay. Hopefully her EO genetics and the fact that she was raised by a SFH broody, another landrace breed, helped her alertness and escape. Lol.

In pretty sure the hawk is a "repeat customer," because he knew the best way in which to attack and exit the yard and the bird/hawk net stretched over part of the yard. He navigated without any problems whatsoever.

He came from the trees or poles behind the roofline and flew towards the long veggie bed.

Walnut was standing in this corner of the bed. Hawk totally knocked the welded wire frame back.

Too bad I didn't get a pic or video of the majestic (and scary) hawk. Now we have to add changing up the scenery a little to our long DIY to-do list. I think I'll start by hanging CDs or some shiny ribbon on the edge of the net where all the resident Hawks (we mainly get Coopers) are now entering for their attack. They've been coming from the same angle for the last couple of months. The me t has been up for about a year. We know the risks of free ranging out chickens all day, and I think their happiness is worth the risk, especially since we've gone through such lengths to try to protect them. So far, the score is like Chickens/us: 50, Hawks: 0. I know Hawks will score one day. We'd hate to lose one, but that's part of Mother Nature.

I'm surprised the ?hawk? would try to dislodge the wire cage. I'm glad you and your girls were unscathed!

We have a lot of hawks in the area, and have suffered attacks any time of the year, but usually in the spring when they have nests. Thanks for the reminder.

Similar to your situation I have netting to protect the area where the hawks usually dive down into the flock. In my application the net is about 3 feet off the ground to reduce the dive angle, and they haven't been hit there anymore. I also have some wire hoop runs, which basically look like a tunnel, but now nothing seems that sturdy after your experience!

@sol2go. The hawk wasn't trying to dislodge the cage. It was using it as a wall to push off back into flight. The hawk didn't have enough room to take off when I made a move towards it, so I think it also used the wire veggie cage to change directions

Good luck with your prevention methods! The hoops sound like a novel idea. We are thinking of getting some potted trees to put in the spot where they are entering. I already planted a lemongrass in another area close to their favorite hangout to provide extra places to hide.

ETA: we had another hawk scare yesterday around 6pm. I was outside working on our greywater pond when my rooster and his cockerel offsprings sounded the alarms. A hawk smaller than the morning attack landed on a telephone pole behind the property. It sat there and stalked the chickens for over 20 minutes. It flew away, but another 20 minute later, passed overhead again in a flyby (at least I think it was the same one).

Last edited:
5 chickens total got sick 2 are better 3 are not so good, same thing as people with the flue right? some people get it worse than others? I hope

Can you describe "flu"?

There are some approved poultry remedies, but they may require withdrawal periods for egg consumption, and the problem may still be dormant within your flock i.e. if you add new birds them may contract it or if your birds are rehomed they may affect the new flock.

UC Davis Extension may have some information to share if you would like contact info.

@sol2go. The hawk wasn't trying to dislodge the cage. It was using it as a wall to push off back into flight. The hawk didn't have enough room to take off when I made a move towards it, so I think it also used the wire veggie cage to change directions

Good luck with your prevention methods! The hoops sound like a novel idea. We are thinking of getting some potted trees to put in the spot where they are entering. I already planted a lemongrass in another area close to their favorite hangout to provide extra places to hide.

ETA: we had another hawk scare yesterday around 6pm. I was outside working on our greywater pond when my rooster and his cockerel offsprings sounded the alarms. A hawk smaller than the morning attack landed on a telephone pole behind the property. It sat there and stalked the chickens for over 20 minutes. It flew away, but another 20 minute later, passed overhead again in a flyby (at least I think it was the same one).

good to know it was just a launching point
sorry your flock seems to be a target lately
good luck with your remedies too!

Back
Top Bottom