California-Southern

Welcome!!!! WOW you are WAY down south there!!! Post pics of your girls when you get a chance:D:welcome

These aren't the greatest pics (the girls don't like to pose for me! :p ) but here are my gals....

IMG_0654.JPG IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0657.JPG

Left to right are Moana, HeiHei (coming right at me, she's very curious!), and Maui peeking out of the coop.

I am in Rolling Hills Estates.(Palos Verdes Pennisula) I have 2 Easter eggers, 2 plymouth barred rocks and 1 silkie. The silkie was an accident as they are sold straight run. I still don't know the sex. They are 11 weeks and adorable. My first chickens. I would love to get another silkie as it is so small and gets pushed out of the way. I guess they are hard to find as females. I am still searching.

Do you leave water and food for a hen sitting on eggs? I put fertilized eggs under a broody hen, and she doesn't seem to leave the nest. Should I be concerned? BTW, this is day 8 on the eggs.

Yes, I leave a little bit of food and plenty of clean water. They do get up at least once per day. Unless you have a camera on them, chances are you won't see them. The last broody I let hatch eggs, would jump out of the basket she was in (on my back door step), run to her favorite dust bathing area and have roll in the dirt, eat, drink and then go back to her basket. But, if ANYONE (including other chickens) got near the basket, she would come flying back, wings fluffed out, screaching.

Yes, I leave a little bit of food and plenty of clean water. They do get up at least once per day. Unless you have a camera on them, chances are you won't see them. The last broody I let hatch eggs, would jump out of the basket she was in (on my back door step), run to her favorite dust bathing area and have roll in the dirt, eat, drink and then go back to her basket. But, if ANYONE (including other chickens) got near the basket, she would come flying back, wings fluffed out, screaching.
Thanks! Just today I saw her off the eggs and taking a dust bath!

I use the two hole Harris Farms nesting box. Seaweed, the broody hen, is in one nest. I assumed the other hens would use the other side, but no, Scramble has been mushing herself in the side with Seaweed! I saw her and lifted her out and in the other box. When Seaweed was out of the box, there were FOUR extra blue eggs, all from Scramble.

By the way, are eggs that have been under a broody hen for a day or more still ok to eat? I tossed them since I wasn't sure.

If I think the eggs have been under the broody for more than 24 hours, I personally won't eat them. I tend to cook (scrambled) any of the broken eggs, older eggs etc and feed them back to the chickens. These brooded eggs, I'd do the same. Have you seen how fast a chick develops?

Lost my battle trying to raise two rare Blue Breda pullets. Lost one girl the first week and managed to raise the other to 6-months. Will try more Blue Breda again at a later time but meanwhile I need layers since my only laying hen is one Cuckoo Breda. I special ordered 3 Dominique pullet chicks from Wes's Pets & Feed in El Monte and here they are. I don't like dealing w/ baby chicks but this time of year it's hard to find juvenile Doms anywhere so wish me success w/ these little ones. I won't see eggs from them til next year but at the moment I just want them to survive.
DSCN8248.JPG
DSCN8253.JPG

As an added note: Wes sold his Pets & Feed business in El Monte to a young man "Mario" who has been remodeling the store and carries many aviary and game bird species in addition to a constant supply of new chicks. Mario (and Luis) are keeping Wes's tradition of friendly complete service and Mario even started carrying some chicken decor items too. He has goats and a pig at the back of the store plus the customary adult roosters that Wes traditionally carried. Mario frequented Wes's for his chicken needs and when Wes was selling the business to move up North to be near children and grandchildren, Mario bought it and has kept Wes's name on the store front. Same friendly set-up plus a little more expansion and upgrading. I will miss Wes and his son but Mario is every bit as helpful, knows birds, and very pleasant. Assistant Luis is pleasant, not as knowledgeable, but will check out an answer if he doesn't know it. If you're in the San Gabriel Valley then Mario will be a good place to get your new chicks or will special order a breed that you want. The chicks usually come from Privett Hatchery in New Mexico which is the hatchery where Wes used to always order. I haven't been disappointed yet. Where else can you go and get new chicks within a week of ordering? Cackle Hatchery will mail as few chicks as 3 but it costs about $50 where I only spent $24 for 3 chicks at Wes's (Mario's) and I got chicks that I didn't worry would arrive to my home dead via USPS.

Back
Top Bottom