How accurate are sexed chickens from Tractor Supply?

• Very Accurate

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Somewhat Accurate

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 50/50

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Not Very Accurate

• Terribly Inaccurate

• Total voters

jennkretz

Songster
Apr 24, 2017
Lake Orion, MI
Hi All :)

My name is Jennifer and I am relatively new to BYC. I have had 1-2 chickens (more as pets) as a child, but this is mine and my husband's first go at having a "backyard flock."

We got 6 "sexed" Rhode Island Red Hens from Tractor Supply Co this spring and have since built a coop, garden, etc around our chickens and have been having lots of fun with our "girls." They are now about 12 weeks old. Some have bigger combs than others, but none have spurs.

This morning I awoke at 5:45 am to a "crowing" sound. Now, it doesn't sound quite like I remember the childhood rooster we had sounding, but it repeated about 10-14 times then stopped. My husband has read that hens can/will try to crow, but I'm worried our neighbors will take note, and we may have to get rid of our flock (or at least the crowing lady?).

Is it possible we got a rooster? How likely is it some of them were improperly sexed? I will definitely be calling TSC later today - or do we just have a crowing lady and I need to chill out? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I tried to post a video, but it wouldn't let me...

Thank you in advance!
Newer Flock Owner and Loving It

Is it possible we got a rooster? How likely is it some of them were improperly sexed? I will definitely be calling TSC later today - or do we just have a crowing lady and I need to chill out? Any advice is greatly appreciated! I tried to post a video, but it wouldn't let me...

Hatcheries on average are correct 90% of the time in sexing chicks. So oops cockerels are definitely possible. Then there is the possibility TSC sold straight run chicks as sexed pullets too.

Crowing at just 12 weeks means in all likelihood you have a cockerel. If you can post pictures of all 6 we can help to sort them out for you.

20170618_204813.jpg
20170618_204813.jpg

Back
Top Bottom