Can you have one hen?

rckirby

Songster
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
We old timers in the wood used to have chickens. My son just asked me if we could take his neighbors Polish hen who is getting picked on by the other hens. I've never had just one chicken. I'd be willing to take her, but want to do the right thing for her. She was a chick in the spring and very people friendly;
55675718008__C417CD0C-1853-43A0-8696-8ED375E4D726.fullsizerender.jpeg

IMG_5038.jpeg

I know people that keep just 1 chicken. I myself is down to 1 hen now, shes 8 years old, the rest of my flock lived out their lives.

Chickens are very flock oriented and need companionship. I applaud you for considering rescuing this hen. But in order to keep a lone bird, you will need to step into the place of other birds. Spending as MUCH time as possible with her, go free ranging together, bring her down to the house for goodies, sitting in the coop and run with her, really interact with her as many hours as possible. When you aren't there, leave a radio on some quiet music during the day. Use a ticking clock 24/7 to help act as white noise.

My hen is old and probably tolerates it better, however a young bird has years to live and they need to be quality. You might give it a try however be prepared to get her a buddy? Another Polish? You might make her a house chicken? Lots of people do it. You can use chicken diapers too.

Lone chickens are not the best situation but rescuing her will give her a new life. You can always add to her if it doesnt work for her.

I know people that keep just 1 chicken. I myself is down to 1 hen now, shes 8 years old, the rest of my flock lived out their lives.

Chickens are very flock oriented and need companionship. I applaud you for considering rescuing this hen. But in order to keep a lone bird, you will need to step into the place of other birds. Spending as MUCH time as possible with her, go free ranging together, bring her down to the house for goodies, sitting in the coop and run with her, really interact with her as many hours as possible. When you aren't there, leave a radio on some quiet music during the day. Use a ticking clock 24/7 to help act as white noise.

My hen is old and probably tolerates it better, however a young bird has years to live and they need to be quality. You might give it a try however be prepared to get her a buddy? Another Polish? You might make her a house chicken? Lots of people do it. You can use chicken diapers too.

Lone chickens are not the best situation but rescuing her will give her a new life. You can always add to her if it doesnt work for her.
Thanks TwoCrows. Years ago we had a young duckling that imprinted on us. We messed up one night in our routine and he/she was gone. What gives me hope is that this hen is very human friendly. My hubby is retired and we've actually looked into duck/chicken diapers.

Thanks TwoCrows. Years ago we had a young duckling that imprinted on us. We messed up one night in our routine and he/she was gone. What gives me hope is that this hen is very human friendly. My hubby is retired and we've actually looked into duck/chicken diapers.

We have a "house chickens" thread here on BYC somewhere. Lots of people keep lone birds as house pets. Chickens or Ducks do really well with all the human attention. I may bring my 8 yr old inside come winter if its a rough season. :)

For the life of me I can't find the thread, LOL however there are MANY small threads on members keeping house chickens in our Pictures and Stories of My Chickens forums. :)

We have a "house chickens" thread here on BYC somewhere. Lots of people keep lone birds as house pets. Chickens or Ducks do really well with all the human attention. I may bring my 8 yr old inside come winter if its a rough season. :)
Well, thank you. We'll see what we can do. It's hard enough surviving as people in the woods, plus 3 dogs.

Back
Top Bottom