Cap and Trade Bill?? What the heck is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Don't go smearing Ron Paul while I'm here...
wink.png
BTW, connecting Dr. Paul to oil companies as an argument against his ideas is a major logical fallacy. I can't remember the name, though. If I could, I'd sound really smart.
big_smile.png

If there wasn't such a big (and rather inexplicable) enviro-agenda against nuclear power, we wouldn't even consider solar or wind. Can we say ineffecient, unreliable sources of power? I'm attempting to restrain myself from going on a really severe rant about global warming, cap and trade, etc., but it's hard. Frankly, cap-and-trade and manmade global warming are both just big loads of
duc.gif
. Hang on, let me get some links to good books on the subject so that I don't get this thread locked.

I own both of the following books, so I know that they're good. Who knows, might even cause a little re-thinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Global-Warming-Environmentalism/dp/1596985011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255991226&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Really-Inconvenient-Truths-Environmental-About-Because/dp/1596980540/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255991226&sr=1-5

Quote:
Since I don't like Oreos should I assume all cookies are bad?

I've never had a 'gooberment' run power company. I've also never had a government run power company. I have however, seen firsthand what happened when you deregulate power companies and it wasn't pretty.

I know corporations are all about the bottom line, and I know if it cuts into their profit margin they don't have my best interests at heart. So why should I assume they will do the right thing if the big bad 'gooberment' just gets out of their business and stops making them do the right thing?

Quote:
Find a good workable solution to the problem of radioactive waste (hint - dropping it in the ocean doesn't qualify as a good solution) and I'll cease my only objection to nuclear power.

Actually ANY consumer based company has the consumer as a primary integral part of the corporation. Without the consumer they are nothing, have you ever heard the customer is always right. Again there is a jealousy and hatred for companies and the believe that they should not make a profit. If our present mindset was present 200 years ago this country would have imploded a long time ago. Somewhere people should wake up to the propaganda machine of MSM and the liberal elite, they are the ones who do NOT have our best interests at heart.

So when does it become acceptable for the government to decide how each and everyone of lives, our employment, our basic choices as to food and drink. When and how does it sink in that it is not corporate America where the problem lies.

Cap and Trade is pretty simple, in an eerie sort of way.

Each company is allowed so many carbon credits. If the company goes over the government mandate, they pay for each carbon credit. Increased cost to the company means they will raise the price to the consumer. Hence the 'cap' part.

If a company is able to cut emissions, and have more credits than debits, they can sell the credits to another company who has more debits than credits. They will pass the cost to the customer. That is the 'trade' part.

It is meant to promote cleaner and more efficient usage of power. But be sure that if a company has to pay more, the consumer will make up that difference. That is where prices go up.

It will start with power companies, but all companies will eventually be included.

Cheri

Quote:
Don't go smearing Ron Paul while I'm here...
wink.png
BTW, connecting Dr. Paul to oil companies as an argument against his ideas is a major logical fallacy. I can't remember the name, though. If I could, I'd sound really smart.
big_smile.png

If there wasn't such a big (and rather inexplicable) enviro-agenda against nuclear power, we wouldn't even consider solar or wind. Can we say ineffecient, unreliable sources of power? I'm attempting to restrain myself from going on a really severe rant about global warming, cap and trade, etc., but it's hard. Frankly, cap-and-trade and manmade global warming are both just big loads of
duc.gif
. Hang on, let me get some links to good books on the subject so that I don't get this thread locked.

I own both of the following books, so I know that they're good. Who knows, might even cause a little re-thinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Global-Warming-Environmentalism/dp/1596985011/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255991226&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Really-Inconvenient-Truths-Environmental-About-Because/dp/1596980540/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255991226&sr=1-5

I'm with you, on the nuclear power.....We already have several, operating in this country, and France has a bunch.... It would only take some serious, short term study to come up with one solid, failproof system, and implement it, across the country.

Think of the immediate construction jobs, and the long term jobs in the industry.

As to the waste; seal it in concrete and dump it in the Mariana Trench.

Quote:
I nearly always am on the same page as you, WalkingWolf - but I do have to interject here that usually the people who say "the customer is always right" are the ones who aren't happy no matter what the service provider does.
wink.png

meri

Basically the government allows industries a certain amount of energy usage. If they go over they get in touch with Al Gores carbon credit brokerage firm. He then sells them worthless pieces of paper that says their pollution is forgiven because someone else cut their usage or planted a tree. Either that or face huge fines. No real pollution savings there. Energy costs in the US skyrocket. Poor people have to choose between heat or air and food. More businesses are forced overseas so we have less jobs. Those businesses that move have way less environmental regulation so they really pollute. The ones that don't move raise the price on all their products. We become a third world country while Al Gore becomes a billionaire. Good times.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a good way to explain it. Thank you.

I don't mean to offend or belittle anyone, but I am a green business owner and I am working on my Masters in geology/environmental science. I could be working for an oil ocmpany if I wanted to, but morally I cannot. (Well- my area of concentration is Fluvial Geomorphology so they might not want me) It's my job to know as much about environmental issues as possible. I get my information from universities- not fox news. I try to explain using Discovery Channel laymens terms, but that obviously didn't work.
IMHO "Cap and Trade" is not perfect- but it's a START.

And for those of you that don't "believe" in climate change, all I have to say to you is "Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?"
tongue.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom