Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
Started working on my HC human screen door. I knew that I'd need something at the floor to keep the deep bedding contained. I took some scrap 3/4" plywood and cut 2 pieces 10"x32" and glued them together. I edge banded them with some scrap white oak. Tall enough to help contain the bedding but still short enough to step over comfortably.

26635959141_44a0cc3f08_c.jpg

4 small barrel bolts secure the assembly to the door jamb.

26097780474_d7c45fb63f_c.jpg

The screen door is made from 2 - 3/4" pine frames that I built with pocket hole joinery. The 2 frames are the bread with the 1/2" HC being the meat in the sandwich. The 2 frames are attached together with countersunk deck screws around the frame. Makes for a light but super sturdy door.

26097888413_efbaa2ca7a_c.jpg

I installed another small barrel bolt on the inside so we can latch the door behind us when we are in there.

26099609973_520f709ab5_c.jpg

View from the outside.

26429303680_7df9b47ec4_c.jpg

I added a more substantial barrel bolt on the outside. I envision the main door being open a lot during the warmer months. This door will provide some really nice ventilation. I also got all the door stop in place with countersunk deck screws so the human door seals up nicely now. Very important in the colder months since it's on the north side.

26703628985_751970c426_c.jpg

Slowly but surely one piece at a time. Seems like this is taking f o r e v e r.
th.gif

Last edited:
Nice!
Are you going to put a screen door spring on?
I highly recommend it....lots of times you go thru that door, you will have your hands full.
It's low tech and will mar the paint where it rubs, but good insurance against 'escapes'.

Nice!
Are you going to put a screen door spring on?
I highly recommend it....lots of times you go thru that door, you will have your hands full.
It's low tech and will mar the paint where it rubs, but good insurance against 'escapes'.

Thanks! Yes, some sort of spring is definitely in order. They are hard enough to catch in the brooder much less going wild in the back yard.
lau.gif

Just realized what a dummy I am. When I left the house this morning I didn't' think about the automatic pop door opener being on and it's pouring down rain...from the direction that the door is on. Sheesh. Glad I waterproofed the floor. Probably going to have to bail it out when I get home.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom