Chick-cave question

Birdpants

Chirping
Jul 17, 2020
San Francisco CA
I’m putting together my heating-pad chick cave. The original article I read about chick caves recommended putting the wire frame in a pillowcase, which seems kinda nice cause it’s soft and easy to clean if you need to. But, I’m finding it’s not snug on the frame and kind of tents down. Will I suffocate my chicks with this? I’m getting Seramas and they seem so teeny I’m terrified I’m going to somehow accidentally kill them 😱

You need to secure it much tighter. Chicks can and will get stuck in gaps in materials.

Bungee cords are one option I've seen used. I use Glad Press n Seal to tightly wrap my pad cover to the pad and the frame, and I just remove it once I'm done brooding and toss it.

mama4.JPG

Thank you SO MUCH. Extremely helpful. Is this your cave upside down? may I ask what you’ve used as a frame? I have just bent hardware cloth but I’ve seen dish racks and might try that instead.

Thank you SO MUCH. Extremely helpful. Is this your cave upside down? may I ask what you’ve used as a frame? I have just bent hardware cloth but I’ve seen dish racks and might try that instead.

I do mine differently than most, so yes it's a U shape instead of a lowercase "n" shape which is what most folks do. My frame is a plate rack, I happened to have some sitting around.

More detailed info and photos here, about 1/3rd of the way down: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Back
Top Bottom