Chicken breathing hardly and laying down her head and slobber coming out of her mouth **EMERGENCY**

Amirabbas

Chirping
Apr 17, 2020
Hey I have chicken having a hard time breathing, and there are some noises when she's breathing
She has put her head down and there is slobber coming out of her mouth and nose
She doesn't eat anything

I think it is some kind of lung infection so I fed her some tetracycline

She's getting worth every minute I'm worried about her

Hey I have chicken having a hard time breathing, and there are some noises when she's breathing
She doesn't eat anything

Do you have pictures, & or video of your hen?

Sounds like she has a respiratory disease from your description. The fluid most likely is coming from her lungs.

I lost a 5 week old chick who caught really bad pneumonia, & had to put her down. She had fluid coming out of her mouth.

I suspect my chick had a suppressed immune system, since she was a Mushy Chick Disease survivor.

Do you have pictures, & or video of your hen?

Sounds like she has a respiratory disease from your description. The fluid most likely is coming from her lungs.

I lost a 5 week old chick who caught really bad pneumonia, & had to put her down. She had fluid coming out of her mouth.

I suspect my chick had a suppressed immune system, since she was a Mushy Chick Disease survivor.
https://streamable.com/tdnw0f

I'm so sorry I realise how awful it is.
It happened to my hen too, she died very slowly and it was so hard to watch her drown from the inside.
She was my favorite too, If it happened again I'd put an end to her suffering.
Yeah watching her like this is the hardest part
And I'm sorry for your chicken

This is the first time seeing a chicken like this I hope she recovers

She doesn't eat anything

Where are you located in the world?
How long has she been like this?
Is her face or eyes swollen, is there pus in the eyes?

Any chance that she ate anything toxic (fertilizer, weed killer, etc.), something moldy or rotten?
What's her crop like?
Does she seem paralyzed - can she move her legs or wings?

It's possible she may have respiratory disease. Tetracycline is used to treat Mycoplasma.
I would try to see if she can take fluids (water/electrolytes). Careful not to aspirate her.
I wouldn't even worry with giving any food until she's more alert, just hydration for now.

Hard to know what's going on with, hopefully she will pull through. If she doesn't then if you want to find out more, a necropsy will often reveal the cause of decline.

Back
Top Bottom