chicken egglaying

Dexter316

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
My chickens are not laying eggs and its realy hot does the chickens egglaying change depending on the weather?
sad.png

Lots of people do report a decline in egg production in very hot weather, yes. It seems that some hens do and some don't.
Make sure you're girls are getting plenty of water, and try cold snacks like frozen watermelon and ice cubes
smile.png

Ice cubes? Like put them in a bowl, and let them eat them? I put ice water out there, but ice cubes? Can you enlighten as we are on a HOT/HUMID streak right now....need advice!

I dont think you feed your hens a bowl of ice just give them frozen water mellon or other fruits.
smile.png
smile.png

Last edited:
I put ice in their water pail on really hot afternoons, so it will stay cool for a bit when they drink from it. Of course, I'm in S. Georgia and it's been 100+ here, so the ice cubes don't stay frozen long!

Mine are not laying yet (but close!) I've been giving them frozen corn cobs, frozen berries, or any fruit my kids don't finish. I toss it in the freezer and take it out at dinner. They go wild for it, and it seems to really cool them off. Frozen yogurt (which doesn't really freeze, just hardens a little) and anything else we can think of that they would like, we just toss it in to make it cold!

I also do ice cubes IN their waterer, so the water coming out is really cold. We're in South/East TN (near the GA line) and it's HOT here.

Back
Top Bottom