Chickens not eating layer feed

courtneyytags

Chirping
Jan 11, 2021
I have two SLW, two ameraucanas, and four feral chickens. My chickens wouldn’t eat their layer feed and would rather forage. Their egg production was slow (2 eggs per day) so I decided to feed them some treat feed. When they had the treat feed, five of them (the rest of the gerald are too young) laid eggs everyday.
I couldn’t afford to give them treat feed everyday so I decided to mix some with their layer feed. They’ve been eating the layer feed a bit more but their egg production is down again to about 2-3 eggs per day. I noticed one of my ameraucanas looked skinnier... what could I look out for in an chicken to make sure they’re not going to die from not eating their layer feed? They went back to wanting to forage instead of eating the food I provided.
Originally, I was thinking that they’d eat the layer feed mixed with treats because there wasn’t anything else for them to eat. But if they rather starve and forage than eat their layer feed, I might as well just go back to feeding them 100% treat feed.

i would offer them Flock Raiser or All Flock and offer oyster shells on the side. Layer feed has less protein. I don’t believe the treat feed has anything to do with them laying more; probably a coincidence. Layer feed doesn’t help them lay, it’s just reinforced with calcium. I’m not sure there really is an issue here; chickens will eat before they starve to death. Don’t offer them anymore treats at all - they may be getting a lot of the nutrition that they need from foraging.

Chickens prefer crumble over pellets, so they may be protesting the pellets. Are the crumble and pellets the same/similar types of feed? You could switch back to crumble if so.

I'd cut out the scraps and treats entirely, they'll prefer "junk food" to a nutritionally balanced diet just as most kids would.

They were mostly protesting the crumbles, they’ll eat the pellets if they’re interested but spend most of their time foraging the yard. Thanks for your input!

Ah ok I misunderstood. Stick with the pellets then, and minimize treats. It's fine if they forage but they should always have the option of feed available.

What type of layer feed are you feeding? Do you know how fresh it is? Have they ever eaten it, or have they not been interested in it from the start?

Have you tried a different brand of feed, just to see if it made any difference?
About a couple weeks ago I used crumbles and now I am using pellets. The crumbles were probably a couple months old and my chickens only ate the feed before I started introducing them into treats and table scraps. The pellets are a couple weeks old and from what I’ve seen, they’re not too interested in the pellets. They will eat the pellets when I put it in my hand and offer it. I’m not too worried anymore, since I know they’ll probably eat it if they get hungry enough.

Chickens prefer crumble over pellets, so they may be protesting the pellets. Are the crumble and pellets the same/similar types of feed? You could switch back to crumble if so.

I'd cut out the scraps and treats entirely, they'll prefer "junk food" to a nutritionally balanced diet just as most kids would.
They were mostly protesting the crumbles, they’ll eat the pellets if they’re interested but spend most of their time foraging the yard. Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom