Barredrocker99

Songster
Sep 17, 2020
I have some new chicks that are about five and a half weeks old. They’ve been staying in my room with me since I got them, but what I had them in was getting a bit too small for them. I put them in the run tonight with the big girls in a dog crate. I’m going to introduce them using the playpen method, I’ve heard really positive things about it. It’s going to get down to 41 tonight, and I wasn’t sure if that’s too cold for them. They have a heat lamp, and there’s no breeze or anything tonight. They’re not huddled up together either which I know is a sign that they’re too cold. Should they be okay or is it too soon/too cold for them to be out there?

Last edited:
As long as you had them off heat and gave them a bit of exposure to temps similar to outside (cracking a window, putting them in a cooler room w/o heat, etc) they'll be just fine.
I turned off the lamp for the last couple days because they seemed to be getting a little too hot(tried jumping out, very restless) so that’s really good news! Yay!

when you say “my room,” is that a brooder in your house, garage, barn?

i put my chicks in a room in a barn...no insulation...with a heat plate and lowest temp is in the 30’s. at 6 weeks they have most of their feathers and now are in an open air coop. as long as they are feathered and have companions for heat...you don’t need additional heat anymore

when you say “my room,” is that a brooder in your house, garage, barn?

i put my chicks in a room in a barn...no insulation...with a heat plate and lowest temp is in the 30’s. at 6 weeks they have most of their feathers and now are in an open air coop. as long as they are feathered and have companions for heat...you don’t need additional heat anymore
I have some new chicks that are about five and a half weeks old. They’ve been staying in my room with me since I got them, but what I had them in was getting a bit too small for them. I put them in the run tonight with the big girls in a dog crate. I’m going to introduce them using the playpen method, I’ve heard really positive things about it. It’s going to get down to 41 tonight, and I wasn’t sure if that’s too cold for them. They have a heat lamp, and there’s no breeze or anything tonight. They’re not huddled up together either which I know is a sign that they’re too cold. Should they be okay or is it too soon/too cold for them to be out there?
41° is nothing for a chicken with feathers huddled with other chickens. dog crate, play pen, cracked window...i’ve never raised a chick anywhere other than the barn with a heat plate. chickens are tolerant, hardy and nearly idiot proof...but in my opinion..about 1 or 2 out of 100 chicks just don’t make it within the first week...that’s been my experience

41° is nothing for a chicken with feathers huddled with other chickens. dog crate, play pen, cracked window...i’ve never raised a chick anywhere other than the barn with a heat plate. chickens are tolerant, hardy and nearly idiot proof...but in my opinion..about 1 or 2 out of 100 chicks just don’t make it within the first week...that’s been my experience
to clarify,i don’t hatch them...but buying them day of hatch from the local hatchery

Back
Top Bottom