Dental question.... how much for a cleaning????

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Lunachick, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I know demographics are a biggie, but just want to know an average of some sort.

I went for a cleaning at a new dentist ( my teeth are in pretty good shape.....I had 2 root canals that were done by a previous dentist less then 10 yrs ago but lost those crowns within that time [​IMG] life happened and cancer was there too. So now I'm catching up. ....OK they're no good now. I know that. So..........my initial visit with the new dentist was fine and the charges seemed reasonable to me. x-rays & consultation added up to almost 2 hrs. Total bill $250. No problem. (NO dental Ins. BTW)

I went for a cleaning which I hadn't had done in a few years (5+ to 10 yrs) !!! By the same dentist today to get the ball rolling on the stuff I need done, the bill was $264.00. Is this normal??? I go back in 6 mos. should it be the same amount??? I can't do that. Maybe I can work with them???

I'm having those 2 root canal teeth pulled (because of crowns lost etc -my fault) THEN.....get rid of the amalgams and replace with the white stuff, which I do want done.....only a couple of those....

what's an average price in your area????? Just trying to justify things. [​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That is reasonable for not having a cleaning done in such a long time. There would have been a lot of buildup.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I just had fillings done, four teeth on each side - total cost not including what my health fund paid was about $1800.
    My dentist tells me that to get a root canal done, it's $1000 a tooth. I'm glad I didn't have to get any of those! [​IMG]

I'm going for a cleaning in a couple of weeks' time, so I might be able to tell you the price for that then if ya still want. [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Yeah I agree, for a deep cleaning after some years.

I pay for 1 extra cleaning visit per year, out of pocket. Costs me just over $100.

Imp

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    This thread reminds me i need to make an appt with the dentist whil i still have dental ins... [​IMG]
    I hate to go though... [​IMG]

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Ok now I feel better about it. [​IMG] Thanks guys. I go on Jan 2 to get a tooth pulled [​IMG]

Red - do it now! Especially if you have Ins! [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I know Mizz Luna.. i need to just get it done... *sigh*

Good luck on Jan 2nd! [​IMG] [​IMG] Ask for some good pain meds.. [​IMG]

8. Imp

You can do it red, I just got my notice in the mail, time for an appt.

We'll do it together. [​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

You can do it red, I just got my notice in the mail, time for an appt.

We'll do it together. http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/5.gif

[​IMG]

10. Imp

Quote:You can do it red, I just got my notice in the mail, time for an appt.

We'll do it together. http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/5.gif

[​IMG]

Maybe we could put a couple of the chairs together, and hold hands. Unfortunately the conversation would go like:

"uh"
    "uh uh"
    "uh uh uh"
    "uh"
    "uh uh"
    "uh "
    "uh uh uh"
    etc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by