Do we have any raw milk drinkers here?

I trade eggs for raw goat milk. I am going to learn to milk, and then give my friend a break once a week from milking in exchange for the milk. The milk is great, tastes the same as cow's milk.

I live in one of those states where raw milk is illegal and treated as poison.... but you better know your source VERY well. Working where I work, the vials of milk that come in for testing are coated with manure. I sure do not want to bring milk home for my family from one of those farms!!!

All for the consumption of raw milk here. If you follow the rules of washing and blah blah blah you will produce a perfectly safe product. I am all for consuming the milk of a few hundred cows vs. a few thousand.....

We are working on that right now in this state; we should have the right to choose pasturized or raw. We get to choose processed over non-processed foods all the time. The big argument here is the fear of illness, but if you could track the instances of how many people who drink raw milk get sick and compare those numbers with all of the other types of food poisinings that happen I bet the number would be VERY low. Besides, you KNOW exactly where the tainted milk came from; not like the E.coli outbreak in the spinach where it took MONTHS to finally figure out the cause of contamination.....

Getting off soap box now.....

When I had goats, we drank their milk raw. Right now, I am helping figure out how to do a milk share at a local farm. Until we get it all figured out, several of us are taking turns doing the milking and we get to keep what we milk out. I got some milk on Tuesday and I get to do the milking again tomorrow late afternoon. Delicious!

So interested in this! I would love to get my hands on some raw milk. I know that down state you can buy a share of the cow and pay for the gallons of milk on top of that. It is very, very expensive. It would be neat to have our own milk cow, but would have to investigate it further.

Quote:
Yeah, in the Dairy State you can't buy raw milk without being an outlaw
somad.gif
Hopefully that will all change very soon. Our Raw Milk Bill went before a committee hearing last week and 600-700 folks showed up to support raw milk (me included)! Now they need to make a decision before end of April or we wait until the fall session
fl.gif

My fam has been drinking raw for almost 2 years, we'll never go back to dead milk. We also have the cowshare program from an organic dairy; just $10 for the share, $1/yr fee, and $6/gallon. So about the middle of the road with prices.

Got Raw?
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, in the Dairy State you can't buy raw milk without being an outlaw
somad.gif
Hopefully that will all change very soon. Our Raw Milk Bill went before a committee hearing last week and 600-700 folks showed up to support raw milk (me included)! Now they need to make a decision before end of April or we wait until the fall session
fl.gif

My fam has been drinking raw for almost 2 years, we'll never go back to dead milk. We also have the cowshare program from an organic dairy; just $10 for the share, $1/yr fee, and $6/gallon. So about the middle of the road with prices.

Got Raw?
big_smile.png

Wow!! The news said only 200 showed up!

Quote:
My inlaws live near Prescott, and get raw milk near them. I think its $8 per gallon.
Keeping a grassfed cow, requires a minimum of 3 acres of good grass blend, that the cow can graze rotationally. Plus 5+ pounds of root veges per day during the winter. Plus doing AI, which does not always take.
Goats are a far better choice for most people, unless you get about 4 families to do the cow together.

Quote:
My inlaws live near Prescott, and get raw milk near them. I think its $8 per gallon.
Keeping a grassfed cow, requires a minimum of 3 acres of good grass blend, that the cow can graze rotationally. Plus 5+ pounds of root veges per day during the winter. Plus doing AI, which does not always take.
Goats are a far better choice for most people, unless you get about 4 families to do the cow together.

Thanks PaulaJoAnne! I can't remember how much the share cost, but I forgot to mention that there was like a monthly fee, too. I think the milk was about $8.00/gallon. Does goat's milk really taste like cows? I've never had it, but thought about goats, since it would be more feasible to drink up the milk from one goat rather than one cow.

Back
Top Bottom