Do your chickens like to be picked up and cuddled?

CJreef

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
We have four golden sex linked hens and a rooster. These are our first chickens. We had no idea how much personality they have and how much fun it is to have them around. They come running when they hear the kitchen door open or see or hear us. They are so funny. They will stay where we work outside and keep us company. They also love treats!!!!

Our rooster is quite a gentleman with us and with his girls. He will not eat treats and he calls the girls to alert them where to find the goodies. Sometimes he picks seeds or other goodies up and drops them back for them to eat. He's just wonderful.

The only thing is, they will not let us pet them or pick them up. I have been able to pick one of them up and she will let me hold her for a while and even settles down a little and peck at sunflower seeds from my hand. The others scream and struggle to get away so I don't even try anymore. They are quite happy to eat from my hand as long as I don't try to pet them.

The hens were 3-4 months old when we got them and perhaps they would be less afraid if we had raised them as chicks.

What are your experiences? Thank you.

Last edited:
Mine are always nice as chicks. But as they get older they start acting more like a stinkin chicken and become aloof & uncaring unless I have feed bucket in hand. They will tolerate being handled when I catch them but they don't volunteer for it.

My chickens (cockerels) love being cuddled. I got them used to waiting at my door before bedtime to cuddle, for about half an hour or so, and then I put them back in their cage to sleep. Note that I usually leave them alone to free range in my backyard.

Each individual is different. We have some that can just be picked right up and toted around, and others that would rather be left alone. Just like people, some are huggers and some are not.

nothing to do with the age.

I have some raised from chicks in my brooder, and they hated being handled from the start.

Others are raised under broody hens, and some of there are very friendly and like to get petted.

I have even bought older egg laying hens that were very scared of my at first, but they tamed right down more than some of my original birds that have know me since they hatched.

Thank you for the responses. I'll just continue to pick up Juliette since she lets me. Perhaps in time she will get to like being cuddled.

I have a huge variety of hens! My RIR's are very sweet...both love to be held, cuddled and loved on.

I have 2 black sex link hens, that don't want to be held at all and tolerate of me petting them at arms length. I generally rub their chests.

I have 2 golden sex links, both friendly, one loves to be held (she loves my husband and is patient with him) she sits on my lap and loves to talks. The other let's me hold her, but is indifferent.

I have 2 EE and one doesn't care to be held, but won't fight it to much. While the other loves to be held, cuddles and talked to.

One Barred Rock, who didn't like being held as a baby, but welcomes it now.

One silkie who is hard to catch, but doesn't move at all once you have her, she is docile.

One frizzle, who doesn't like to be held..... so I agree with WallabyOfChaos; "Just like people, some are huggers and some are not."

We got ours as day old chicks and have handled them from day one, they are about 5 months old now.

They're Hamburgs and are somewhat flighty and do not like to be held or handled even though we do so on a regular basis to check them for any health issues or injuries. They are totally content to let me sit or stand next to them and they will eat from my hand and will even fly up on my shoulder or climb on my lap if it is their choice, they don't like to be forced though. I about fell over the first time one flew up to land on my shoulder! They will do almost anything for sunflower seeds.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom