Dog attack! Two hens injured! (graphic pictures)

Crysta

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Florida
About 30 minutes ago a dog came into my yard and got to two of my yard and attacked to of my hens. My barred rock got bit just above the tail and my easter egger back was bit it seems several times on the back. Ive washed the wounds with wound wash and I dont know what to do next. The wounds are on the Easter Egger. Any advice is welcome, I have never put down a chicken and I'm hoping I wont have to today....
[/IMG]

Looks like the barred rock was bit in fatty tissue, it is not bleeding. She is up and moving!

Last edited:
Hmm. The EE looks pretty bad. I would recommend taking it to the vet. Place the chicken in a clean, separate area and check the wounds for infection several times a day, and make sure the hen can't get at it. For the BR you can use gauze pads on it, and make sure the wound it clean.
You can also use blue-kote. I'm never bro this, but if hope it works and they are going to be okay:)

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, I dressed and treated my Barred Rock Hen. Unfortunately, I discovered other wounds on my Easter Egger's belly and underneath her wing on top of what was imaged. After cleaning the wounds and looking at them more carefully, my family decided it was best to put her down. Rest in Peace, my Lil Chip
hit.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, I dressed and treated my Barred Rock Hen. Unfortunately, I discovered other wounds on my Easter Egger's belly and underneath her wing on top of what was imaged. After cleaning the wounds and looking at them more carefully, my family decided it was best to put her down. Rest in Peace, my Lil Chip :hit
I'm so sorry! May her kind soul rest in peace in chickie Heaven.

Dogs are wolves! And chicken with wolves don't mix! I have said it before and I will always will say It!
If you want realize this fact this unfortunate incidence will happen agin!
Search in BYC forum and you will fined dozens of incidences!

Last edited:
Many dogs do just fine with chickens and birds including mine. Of course they are predators just like wolves, but they are also individuals with strong personalities. Some will kill chickens, some allow the birds to sit one them. You can't just label all dogs as chicken killers. Sorry for you chicken!

Back
Top Bottom