Blazegglo

Chirping
Apr 2, 2019
I came home to a woman trying to round up her dog yesterday. Her dog got loose and ran to my house and attacked my chickens... Killed one of my black chickens injured a couple others. One was my white silkie rooster... He seems to have gotten it worse next to the one that was killed... Ripped a bunch of his feathers out of his back. Hes walking around fine. But isnt crowing and acting his usually self. Will the feathers grow back on his back?
Anyways the dumb owner of the dog left 20 dollars for the mess her dog made... Such an insult. We told her we didnt want her 20 dollars we just wanted her dog to never come back. We have small children and we dont want them getting hurt or killed... So anyways like i asked. Will my rosster recover? Will his feathers grow back? Im really worried about him....

Yes, they will grow back. I have an EE that had half her tail and a lot of her back feathers ripped out by a fox and they grew back in within a few months. She also had puncture wounds which I kept clean with topical antibiotics, so make sure you check him over good and treat any wounds you find.

Yes, they will grow back. I have an EE that had half her tail and a lot of her back feathers ripped out by a fox and they grew back in within a few months. She also had puncture wounds which I kept clean with topical antibiotics, so make sure you check him over good and treat any wounds you find.
Yes and thank you. My husband did clean his wounds with sterile saline and we put antibiotic ointment on him too...

I realize it wasn't part of your question.......but learning opportunity just the same.

So here is the deal on dealing with dogs........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

So plan is you decide what area you have to work with, and where you would like your chickens to roam about within........and that is the perimeter you enclose within an electric fence. Birds stay in......dogs and other predators encounter fence.....get the bajeebers blasted out of them and never come back. Birds live, dogs live, life is good. It really is that simple.

I realize it wasn't part of your question.......but learning opportunity just the same.

So here is the deal on dealing with dogs........

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dogs-and-electric-fences.1210854/

So plan is you decide what area you have to work with, and where you would like your chickens to roam about within........and that is the perimeter you enclose within an electric fence. Birds stay in......dogs and other predators encounter fence.....get the bajeebers blasted out of them and never come back. Birds live, dogs live, life is good. It really is that simple.
I should do the electric fencing. I had a 4 ft fence around there roaming area but unfortunately the dog jumped over it and then the dogs dumb owner broke down part of the fencing to get her dog so we will have to rebuild and make it even more secured... We knew this could happen. Just didnt think it would happen to our little buddies.... Thanks for the link

sorry for your loss, yeah, I have 6 ft fences cause my dogs could jump a 4 ft easily, though they wouldn't hurt a chicken. but the good news of this is the others will be off for a few days due to the shock, but check for any wounds, and treat as needed, add in some save a chick or nutri drench, and if you can spend a little extra time with them to help reassure them. I had a rooster that almost lost his head looked really bad but treating the wound and as he was the sole protector he wanted to be out with the hens so we treated and applied blue kote and left him with his flock who were traumatized and stressed seemed to help the hens . Took him almost 4 months to get feathers back as he's been scalped by dang coon but when they molted his feathers regrew.

I recommend tying bacon to the electric fence at roughly the height of the dog's nose. Even if it's a 4 ft fence. For a real deterrent the dog needs the shock correction. The bacon will mean he'll touch it with his nose, lips or tongue. And even though he can jump a 4' fence, he'll never try it after one correction via shock. I use this strategy to keep black bear out of my honeybee hives, and away from the chickens. Both of my dogs also went for the bacon and immediately learned to avoid the fence.

Your may also want to make animal control aware of the dog killing your chicken. That way, if there's a future problem they're already aware of the first offense.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom