Dog eating Chicken poo

mickey328

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2012
Northern Colorado
We have 3 dogs and brought home our 6 hens last week. Chickies are in a portable run which we move every few days. The little dogs are fine, but the big guy can't wait to get at the poo after we've moved the pen. We run the mower over the area right after we move it so it sucks up all the "leftovers", but some poo inevitably sticks to the grass and the big guy scarfs it up.

Any ideas about this? I'm sure it can't be good for him, but I'm clueless as to how to keep him from doing it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mickey

Our dogs eat and roll in it. We don't stop them. They've never gotten sick from it.

I do take a hose and wash the poo into the ground on the grass in our front yard. Otherwise, I'll pick it up with a scooper in their pen. I leave the poop in the backyard alone.

Last edited:
Thanks, Nicole. We're in an urban setting, so our girls are just in the back, as are the dogs. I'm a bit worried about worms, since we just got the chickens. Suppose it would hurt to worm 'em all?

I don't worm the chickens unless I need to. Same with the dogs. Haven't had a problem with either having worms. I finally broke Singe of his chicken poo fetish. I went out and doused the poo in hot sauce before I let the dogs out. A couple tastes and viola. No more poo eating.

If your dogs are on a monthly heartworm preventative, most of those will also control or prevent several types of worms as well. Truthfully, there aren't that many intestinal parasites that birds are going to be able to share with dogs anyway. Dogs eating chicken poo is a gross habit to be sure, but it generally isn't a harmful one. If you're worried about worms, take a stool sample (from the chickens or the dogs) to your vet and have it checked for parasites. You can try the hot sauce, it's certainly worth a try. But be forewarned, while it works for most dogs some dogs actually seem to like the added spice! Personally I'm too lazy to run around dousing all the chicken poop in the yard. I just yell at the dog when I catch him eating it (mine stops if I tell him to leave it or drop it) and pretend that he doesn't eat it when I'm not looking. And I've never been a fan of doggy kisses for the very fact that most dogs will eat stuff like this at any opportunity.

Thanks! All the furkids are on their heartworm meds and yelling doesn't seem to phase him...he's utterly fascinated with it! LOL. I'm seriously hoping the "new" will wear off soon for all of them.
smile.png

. You can try the hot sauce, it's certainly worth a try. But be forewarned, while it works for most dogs some dogs actually seem to like the added spice! Personally I'm too lazy to run around dousing all the chicken poop in the yard. I just yell at the dog when I catch him eating it (mine stops if I tell him to leave it or drop it) and pretend that he doesn't eat it when I'm not looking. And I've never been a fan of doggy kisses for the very fact that most dogs will eat stuff like this at any opportunity.
yeah, it took a couple tries to find one that Singe DIDN'T like. Regular tabasco actually seemed to encourage him to chew on things. But Taco bell's fire sauce he doesn't like.

You can also use the red pepper flakes....

My dogs have been eating chicken poo for years. In fact, besides the chicken poo, they eat deer, rabbit, duck and probably more that I don't see, thank god. They are on monthly heartworm though. They only poo I have seen them pass up is toad poo. :sick

Back
Top Bottom