Dog thread!šŸ¾

Hmm. I neutered my male Golden before 6 months old, he lived a long healthy life to the age of 15. I had my female Sheltie spayed before her first heat and she lived a healthy life until age 13 when I had to have her put down due to arthritis. I believe those are pretty much average ages for those breeds. I don't think they would have lived much longer if they had been intact, although Gracie may have lasted a little longer if we lived in a ranch style home rather than one with steep stairs.
I think it probably depends on the dog. And while most will probably be fine, some wonā€™t and I feel like they need the hormones to grow just like we do. I think thereā€™s also a lot more research out now where there wasnā€™t before. Not every vet is necessarily up to date though. Mine recommended no later than 6 months because heā€™s a pit bull (mix but still). Not really sure why. But I didnā€™t. I waited until after 2 years.

I guess whatever people decide to do, they shouldn't be made to feel wrong for it. When I was a young newlywed I had a lovely Collie and intended to have her spayed as soon as I could afford it. She went into heat earlier than we anticipated. We were VERY careful about not letting her out unattended. Sigh. Ten puppies later .... šŸ˜’

I guess whatever people decide to do, they shouldn't be made to feel wrong for it. When I was a young newlywed I had a lovely Collie and intended to have her spayed as soon as I could afford it. She went into heat earlier than we anticipated. We were VERY careful about not letting her out unattended. Sigh. Ten puppies later .... šŸ˜’
Yeah, itā€™s definitely up to the individual and I donā€™t think anyone should feel bad about it! And oh wow! 10!? :eek:

Hmm. I neutered my male Golden before 6 months old, he lived a long healthy life to the age of 15. I had my female Sheltie spayed before her first heat and she lived a healthy life until age 13 when I had to have her put down due to arthritis. I believe those are pretty much average ages for those breeds. I don't think they would have lived much longer if they had been intact, although Gracie may have lasted a little longer if we lived in a ranch style home rather than one with steep stairs.
I'm on my fourth dog, all have been females. Our current pup was a senior rescue who came to us already spayed, but the other three were all spayed at 6 months or earlier. They lived to 15 1/2 years, 15 1/2 years, and 9 years old. The third died young due to stroking out from steroid treatments for hip dysplasia.

Of all the cats I've owned there was only one I didn't spay, and she had breast cancer by 7. Most of the others lived long lives: 13, 17, 19.

So my experience is that spaying by 6 months worked well, and NOT spaying resulted in an early death.

All I know is, I wasn't qualified and/or didn't have the facilities to keep intact animals from breeding. Spay/neuter made much more sense to me.
That's my likelihood too. I could probably get away with intact males and fixed females, but I doubt I'll have only one sex and I really don't think I'll be able to successfully keep everyone seperated constantly for heats

I'm on my fourth dog, all have been females. Our current pup was a senior rescue who came to us already spayed, but the other three were all spayed at 6 months or earlier. They lived to 15 1/2 years, 15 1/2 years, and 9 years old. The third died young due to stroking out from steroid treatments for hip dysplasia.

Of all the cats I've owned there was only one I didn't spay, and she had breast cancer by 7. Most of the others lived long lives: 13, 17, 19.

So my experience is that spaying by 6 months worked well, and NOT spaying resulted in an early death.

With cats it's a different thing. There is no research as of now to suggest that an early spay impacts them in any way

So... if I understand correctly, which it's very possible that I messed something up:

Males, it's safest to be intact (minus risk of puppies), safer to have a vasectomy and then monitor every two years for tumors, and somewhat safe to neuter after a certain age

Females, its safest to leave intact (minus risk of puppies), somewhat safer to do a hysterectomy if you must and monitor them, and then a little safe to spay after 2?
For joint health best to wait until fully grown (2+years depending on breed)

didnā€™t really look at the males information šŸ˜…

it doesnā€™t say what the risks of pyometra is compared to the risks of cancer šŸ¤”
Glad they lived a long life! It is all about chances and weighing up pros and cons

No offence meant to anybody. I prefer with things like when to spay and neuter looking at research rather then personal experience since the research includes a lot more dogs then personal experience generally can

spaying/neutering can increase risks, there is still a fairly high chance nothing happens
That's my likelihood too. I could probably get away with intact males and fixed females, but I doubt I'll have only one sex and I really don't think I'll be able to successfully keep everyone seperated constantly for heats
I am probably only going to have females so I donā€™t need to worry about separating males and females!

My personal opinion is dog shouldnā€™t be spayed/neutered under 2 years old unless for medical reasons. like with a lot of animal things people need to do their own research and make there own decisions about whats best in their situation

Back
Top Bottom