dog was sick * A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!*

Quote:
That is what it perplexes me when the dog went to the vet, no blood panel being done nor any definate diagnosis of rat poison and being sent home with pills....I find it rather disturbing to see the dog still bleeding. She should have been improving already within 24 hours with aggressive treatments. Rat poison or any kind of bleeding is not be played around with.

How is your girl doing? Is she eating? Have you gotten her meds down?

If she is still bleeding are her gums still the bright pink? What color are they and if you press on the gum how long does it take in seconds for the color to come back? IMO she needed to be kept at the clinic and treated. The vet is negligent for sending home an animal with issues like this. I am suprised he still has a license if this is his normal treatment of patients.

I agree with above. It's absolutely not right for a vet to send home an animal this sick.

This is serious. Your baby needs to be at the vet getting her medicine.

She is looking a bit better, not coughing as much and the bleeding has definitely slowed down. She is starting to eat again, though she has to be hoaxed with honeyed ham [she always had a sweet tooth] and she seems to have regained some energy. When we first tried to give her her medicine, she would not eat it, so we had to make it to powder and put it in water and inject it in her mouth, where she was able to take it. She walked outside and went to the bathroom and was wagging her tail, so her spirits are still there!

I am hopeful that these are good signs and she continues to get better, though I won't let down my guard and I am surprised at the vet for his 'treatment', but he said he's seen this before and this works, though he did say she was very sick.

What foods/nutrients should she be getting that would help her?

Lifesong Farm: her gums are a bright pinkish color, and when I pressed them they went from white to pink almost instantly, and she is no longer bleeding from the mouth, just a slow drop every once in a while from the nose.

Right now she is sleeping, and her breathing does seem to indicate she has fluids in her, but her breathing sounds A LOT better than it did last night.

Also, how long does it take for rat poison to affect a dog like this? i want to try to find out what day she may have came into contact with it so I can try to find it and dispose of it as I have another nosey dog.

Thanks everybody SO MUCH for your support through this tough holiday season, hope you all have a happy holiday. thanks:]

sounds like she is on the mend! At least the bleeding slowed down.

Next time, either find another vet or if there are more than one vet practicing in the same clinic you took your dog to, get another vet than the one that treated her. No sense in prelonging her suffering and it is just not right. Sounds like a lazy vet that does not want to be bothered with anyone disturbing or having her staff disturbed for Christmas.

Last edited:
Quote:
Maybe trying to keep costs down for op don't know for sure just a thought.

Glad the dog seems to be a bit better and thank you for rescuing him.

Nice looking dog!

Last edited:
I'd go easy on things like ham or lunch meat because of the high salt content and other stuff that can be added. Boiled plain meat (usually chicken or beef but I've also used rabbit and venison) with rice is one of the standards for sick carnivores or those that might be suffering allergies. They can survive on that alone for usually more than long enough to get them back on a regular diet without any negative impact on health and the carbs and protein help keep weight on them. Most are willing to eat it all but my akita is a bit of a pain about anything that isn't meat and will pick it apart to get the chunks out. I have to make sure to cook the rice in to goo using the same water the meat was boiled in so she doesn't realize what she's eating. After she recovered some from her rat poison + spay surgery was when I first tried satin balls but since they use raw hamburger it's not something you want to add in to the diet of a sick animal who isn't used to raw meat.

Thanks everyone for all your support, you truly did help me in this process.

I am pleased to report that Nikki is doing MUCH better! She walks around more, wags her tail, and even attempts to jump on my lap. Sh was easily able to eat her pills this morning, and last night she slept very well without breathing troubles and not waking up.

I feel like this was a Christmas Miracle that could be seen on a cheesy movie on the hallmark channel like the ones I've been watching all December:]

Thanks every body SO much!!! and Merry Christmas!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom