DanielFreeman

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2019
Hello, I ordered 4 golden layer ducks from mypetchicken. I received them yesterday morning, when I first set them out they were all active and drinking and eating. A couple hours passed and one became lethargic and soon passed away. That night the rest continued to be relatively active, two a little slower and one very active. They all made it through the night just fine and this afternoon the two that were slower began not getting up to eat and drink. One passed away then the other soon after. As the last one was passing away I was holding her and she was jerking her head and feet as if in spasms and then died. The remaining one is acting no different, besides a little lonely, I should note that the three that passed away were significantly smaller than the remaining one and that I have raised many ducks and have never had any problems and I have not changed my methods. Please help me understand what could have happened. Thank you.

Hello, I ordered 4 golden layer ducks from mypetchicken. I received them yesterday morning, when I first set them out they were all active and drinking and eating. A couple hours passed and one became lethargic and soon passed away. That night the rest continued to be relatively active, two a little slower and one very active. They all made it through the night just fine and this afternoon the two that were slower began not getting up to eat and drink. One passed away then the other soon after. As the last one was passing away I was holding her and she was jerking her head and feet as if in spasms and then died. The remaining one is acting no different, besides a little lonely, I should note that the three that passed away were significantly smaller than the remaining one and that I have raised many ducks and have never had any problems and I have not changed my methods. Please help me understand what could have happened. Thank you.

Has the feed you're using changed it's formula? Is it medicated and have the medication ingredients been increased? If not and if the temps ect are the same as before and not too cold, ask the breeder. So sorry to hear this : (

It might have just been shipping stress. The jerking was just nerves I'm guessing.
I'm terribly sorry about your ducklings, hopefully the other two stay healthy! :hugs

Sorry for your losses - Unfortunately, electrolytes and fluid deficits are common in shipped birds, especially those who have been in transit for an extended period. A combination of those problems can result in hypoglycemia and death.

The Duck Stickies have some informative threads if you would like to have a look:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

Back
Top Bottom