egg bound help!

taribor2

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2016
our 5 month old wyandotte Sometimes she's fine, eats, drinks, poops. But a lot of the time her vent is contracting constantly. We are going on 32 hrs and I'm worried. At first I felt the egg like 1 inch deep. Now it seems 2 inches deep and off to the side. Any advice?

I gave calcium, warm bathes, heating pad under Rubbermaid with damp towel and lid as vet prescribed. No luck. I think this is her first egg. How long can she walk around with it? she seems exhausted
thanks

our 5 month old wyandotte Sometimes she's fine, eats, drinks, poops. But a lot of the time her vent is contracting constantly. We are going on 32 hrs and I'm worried. At first I felt the egg like 1 inch deep. Now it seems 2 inches deep and off to the side. Any advice?

I gave calcium, warm bathes, heating pad under Rubbermaid with damp towel and lid as vet prescribed. No luck. I think this is her first egg. How long can she walk around with it? she seems exhausted
thanks

Welcome to BYC.

The vent contracting is normal. They do this pretty much all the time.
Sometimes it will take a while for the first egg to come, so leave her in the coop/run with the rest of the flock and see if she will lay her egg.
Stress can make it more difficult, so if you still have her separated, place her in a quiet calm area with food and water and see if she will lay her egg. Hold off on the vent checks for a little while and let her relax.

OK sounds good. I was worried when I read an egg bound hen had 48 hrs. We are at 54 hrs, how long can she go holing this egg??

She was too nervous being separated so she's back with the flock. Her bottom is swollen and she carries it lower, but she's walking around pecking as usual. It seems her walking helps with the contractions. My daughter saw the egg as she was pushing yesterday but once i checked her it was in deep again. She is really pushing hard sometimes that you can see some prolapse. I'll try to get some pics up

If you can, put a little ky jelly or coconut oil no more than an inch (1") inside the vent to help lubricate. Make sure she is drinking plenty of water, you can also give her extra calcium by crushing a Tums and feeding it to her.

It sounds like she is stressed which will make it harder to expel. Hopefully she will calm a bit and get it out.

If she hasn't passed the egg yet, then you many want to consider taking her to the vet.
She does look uncomfortable.
You can try another soak in epsom salts and gently massaging her abdomen, re-lubing the vent, etc.

Back
Top Bottom