Emergency!!! Rooster down! Think he's dying!!!

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
I went out this morning to my coop and all my birds were perfectly fine, but this afternoon we noticed my Bantam Dark Brahma rooster Cookie just sitting by the waterer. He was drinking and he looked like he was just hot and didn't want to move. This evening my younger DD went into the coop to refill the waterer and when she approached it, all the birds near it scattered, except Cookie. Since he was a chick he has not liked being held and he will run away when you approach him, so when my daughter was able to just walk right up on him, she instantly knew something was wrong. She scooped him up and brought him out to me where I was with the younger chicks and told me he wasn't acting right. She set him down and it's like his legs just went out from under him. So we brought him inside and put him in the bathroom thinking he must have gotten into a fight again with one of my Bantam BO roos, but we couldn't find any marks on his body. What we thought was a wound turned out to be poo. Someone must have pooped on his back. He's getting worse by the minute. He is flopping over on his side, can't walk, and keeps craning his neck back. I picked him up and held him and it almost felt like spasms going through his body. His breathing sounded a little raspy, but that could be from the odd angle he keeps craning his neck into. He was sort of whining too.

Update, as I was typing this, he died. My older DD sat in the bathroom with him in his last few minutes and held him. She said he went into a seizure before he died. Please oh please tell me this isn't Marek's!!! He was FINE this morning! And he was still mounting hens as of yesterday! His comb color was good, no nasal or oral discharge, nothing out of the ordinary other than his sudden collapse. What can I do to protect the rest of my flock? I have broodies with chicks out there and a broody on eggs, and lots of teenage chicks out there! No one else is showing signs of illness. What could this be? Should I move my ducks and treat everyone for Cocci? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to wake to more birds dead if I can possibly help it!

I am so sorry. That is terrible for your child. How hot has it been where you are? Could it be heat stroke? I am new to this and that is the only idea I have.

Best of luck.

Oh I am so sorry you lost your roo. I don't have an answer for you but hoping someone will come along and help (hugs)

sad.png
hugs.gif

If you still have him, check if there is any food in his crop, although first thing in the morning they are usually empty anyway.

The sudden 'drunken' behaviour with throwing the head back and flipping over flapping the wings is typical of what we see with malnutrition.
The malnutrition is often brought on by an underlying condition which makes them decide to stop eating.

Don't dispose of the body, put him in the fridge, you can get an autoposy/necropsy done for free if you are in the US. I'll find the number to call for you.

Here is the USDA phone number, I'm sure they can help.

The USDA operates a toll-free hotline (1-866-536-7593) with veterinarians to help you. The USDA wants to test sick birds to make sure they do not have a serious poultry disease. There is no charge for USDA veterinarians to work with you to conduct a disease investigation.​

Quote:
Ok, he was eating fine as of yesterday. I didn't see him eat today. My birds do a combo of free eating and free ranging as they have a large yard to roam through, about 164ft around. I didn't pay attention to the crop, but my younger DD says it was full. He was a little thin, but he eats very well, and gets LOTS of treats, like watermelon and leftovers, and scratch, so I am at a loss if it is some form of malnutrition. I'll be calling the USDA in the morning.

I think that yesterday the temp yesterday was only 84. We always keep cool water, and they have a big huge maple tree to hide under as well as an apple tree bush thing. The coop doesn't get unbearably hot. I have a very low threshold for heat and I can stand in there. Usually Cookie (the roo that died) would be one of the first ones out the coop door in the morning and one of the last ones in at night. He would spend his days making sure the Bantam BO roos knew he was higher in the pecking order than them, and courting his ladies. There were no signs of any abnormal behavior until yesterday. That's what has me just stumped. He had no visible signs of anything wrong with him. He did have the slow feathering gene, though I don't know if that played a part at all. He was panting when my daughter picked him yesterday. I just asked her and she said yes, he was panting. I didn't think to ask her that yesterday. I'm going to have to figure out a way to rig a fan in there then. Is there anything else I can do if another bird begins to show the same symptoms?

Back
Top Bottom