Pics
@Pyxis Thanks for such a quick reply! I’ll leave it in there and see if it somehow makes it ... I didn’t see any movement this time around ...

The incubator was supposed to have an auto turning mechanism but I’m not 100% confident it works or I set it up correctly. The instruction manual was in very broken English and didn’t make a ton of sense. Maybe I should have spent the extra money for the Brinsea after all.

:th

It definitely looks like turning has not been sufficient :( I wouldn't trust the autoturner at all and would do all the remaining turning by hand.

I agree with Pyxis. :(

Since you have a few days to go, i would suggest turning them as many times a day as possible, and waiting to increase humidity in line with the date this one was laid.
I had a group of eggs abandoned by a broody duck after 2 weeks. She had 17 eggs, and I think it was just too many for her to turn well. Over half had underdeveloped CAMs. I put them in my Nurture Right, which rolls them every hour, and they have improved greatly! I lost a few, but she was off the nest for 2 days before I actually collected the eggs, so I was more surprised that any survived.

Here's a quick candling video of them a couple nights ago.

Amazingly there is still movement! It’s slow but I could see perhaps a heartbeat and a little moving. Seeing as this egg hasn’t developed properly ... Will the duckling be underdeveloped if it does hatch? Just wondering if it will make it?

:confused:

Unrelated question ... I’ve been giving the new babies starter crumble and I’m wondering if/when I can treat them with frozen peas, small pieces of lettuce or mealworms? I know they’ll need grit provided ... But is there a minimum age?

So I tried giving them teeny-tiny lettuce and providing grit and they weren’t particularly interested.

Also tried smooshed frozen peas, they mouthed them and spit them out. I heard ducks love peas, but maybe not this young? :confused:

Couldn’t verify that the mealworms I bought were organic and was cautioned against giving them since they could be of questionable origin ... I guess they’ll just have to enjoy worms from our backyard once they start going outside.

:idunno

They love eating their starter out of my hand, so I’ll just let that be the “treat” for now.

Cleaned their brooder and tried a new setup for water, hoping it’s a tiny bit less messy (big dream, I know!). For the most part I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how not-horribly-terribly-messy they’ve been.

The little black one is highly interested in water/trying to swim and the brown one is a great jumper.

We are having a blast! :wee

Last egg goes into lockdown tonight. Hoping it will hatch so I can try to give it to our friend - She’s lost two ducks since we put the eggs in the bator.

:hugs

Back
Top Bottom