Yes. I do not use saline, I use plain water for eye injuries. Not that I have had to treat a lot. If I get time I will try and find a study or reference on saline vs water for eye injuries. Maybe @RoyalChick could help with the research.

I know that I learned it someplace that was definitive for me. I just can't remember where.
I would be interested in this because we have successfully treated eye injuries with saline and Terramycin. I am always open to knowledge and doing something better.

My chicks are 10 days old today. They came from a breeder, Alchemist Farms, and were shipped as day old chicks. These are my very first chickens. They are in a pack n play brooder with a heat plate. I started them on paper towels till I was sure they were all pooping and knew what and where the food was. I switched to rural king coffee ground litter about 4 days ago. I did not post in the ER Thread as there were multiple posts fairly recently that addressed the identical issue. The responses were quite varied though so I came here and I am so glad I did.

Here is what I have done so far:
I used warm water with a soft cloth around the eye to remove the small bit of loose litter that I could see had stuck there and use a tiny amt of Neosporin without pain reliever around it. I am sure at this point I probably shouldn’t have done the Neosporin and will cease that entirely.

Update: Today the swelling has reduced significantly. Her eye is still only partially open. She is active, eating, and drinking just sticking to under the heat plate more then she was. So far it appears she is recovering quickly.

Plan going forward based on links and advice from you fine folks - I will observe and only disturb her if any more litter accumulates then I will flush the area with distilled warm water only.

Thank you and everyone else that helped and sent great links! I really appreciate it so very much.
I use terramycin for eye injuries and have good success. It's more expensive than neosporin but worth it in my opinion.

Hello Fluffy Butt acres! The moon was still up when I opened the coop this morning and it was cool and nice.
IMG_20220813_061827.jpg

IMG_20220813_062035.jpg

IMG_20220813_065410.jpg

I realized tonight I never gave a follow up on Grochatila being stung by a hornet. It took a good three and a half day but he healed completely without any intervention.
IMG_20220811_095818.jpg

I just took these 2 video's a few minutes ago and I'm very happy. I refrained from posting a few days ago but I thought I was loosing Daisy. She stopped eating and drinking and all her friends were gathered around her. I truly thought they were saying good bye to her and I brought her inside with me. Bringing her inside into the air conditioning I was to soon realize she was dealing with heat stress. While it was not miserably hot it was terribly humid. She stayed inside the rest of the evening and the entire next day as it was another humid miserable day. I was able to get her to drink some nutri-drench that first evening but it was almost 24 hours before she started back eating. I know this has been a terrible couple weeks with fellow members loosing their beloved feathered friends. I am on borrowed time with Daisy, her tumor has stopped growing, but I have to believe that it was a cause of her heat stress. She cannot stay inside all the time, separation from her flock visibly stresses her out and it is almost the middle of August. I know there will be way more hot and humid days to come.

This was Daisy the next day after I brought her in.
View attachment 3220953View attachment 3220954
And here she is now. Notice she has her spunk back and vigorously eating her share of the bun treat and even bullied Blueberry for a second.
Has me thinking we should value that "borrowed time" as some rare precious gift.
And treasure every peaceful moment !
I think we will all be keeping @RoyalChick in our thoughts today. Hoping this new day isn't as awful as yesterday and you find some little things to be happy about.

I might be way off here I could get why flexi got ill and died with this crop issue that she never had before, this is very suspicious...

20220813_114531.jpg

Right near where they cuddle down out of the sun by my kitchen window which is directly beneath my volatile neighbours kitchen window :mad::fl No workmen or gardeners have been around my back

Flexi was laying eggs and healthy apart from being a little subdued about Agatha dying.

And the situation was violent, with Dakota being ganged up on. She’s okay now, just scared. I just can’t understand why this happens. They were getting along together all last night and today. :idunno
This must be very concerning. I wonder what sets them off?

Hello Fluffy Butt acres! The moon was still up when I opened the coop this morning and it was cool and nice.
View attachment 3221350

View attachment 3221348
View attachment 3221357
I realized tonight I never gave a follow up on Grochatila being stung by a hornet. It took a good three and a half day but he healed completely without any intervention.
View attachment 3221358

Has me thinking we should value that "borrowed time" as some rare precious gift.
And treasure every peaceful moment !
I think we will all be keeping @RoyalChick in our thoughts today. Hoping this new day isn't as awful as yesterday and you find some little things to be happy about.
That bench photo is just spectacular! 🥰

You should enter that in the calendar contest.

He sleeps in some of the most uncomfortable looking positions....
20220805_184823.jpg
20220810_192819.jpg
Taken roughly a week apart.

Middle son observational comment unrelated to Castor's sleeping contortions: "I'm glad I don't have to wash my [backside] like that." (Brackets edited for terminology, his term wasn't so polite).

It is a new day at the Chicken Palace.
It is cool, clear and sunny and it will be a perfect day apart from the drought.
My lovely Princesses are reminding me to celebrate life and live in the moment.

Strictly in pecking order (as is protocol in the Chicken Palace, and maybe in palaces everywhere) …..

Diana reminded me it is a great day to forage and good food is what she wakes up for every morning so she can’t hang around chatting when there are bugs to catch!
B4E47E9C-FC37-4DD8-BCA3-2A60804F151A.jpeg

Maggie reminded me what a glorious shiny mahogany-colored fluffy butt she has and thanked me for the nice clean water in the Chicken Palace but she will stick to the yukky outside water if I don’t mind.
E0356A20-511E-448A-8059-1C64F5100DB8.jpeg

Bernadette reminded me that she is a pretty and impressive showcase for my nursing skills even though I have not been so successful with others. To prove her point she did a little dance and then skipped (no really, she skips) off to join Diana hunting bugs.
DC54A4B1-5B25-4EB1-A6E6-A5F183C4401B.jpeg

And the lovely Lulu reminded me she is a Roadrunner too (same breed) only better because she is a lap chicken (well almost).
2030A7A2-41D6-4AED-ABF7-4499E4267FA3.jpeg

Thank you everyone here for your kindness and support. It has been a difficult time and I miss Bella and the Roadrunners terribly.

Starting with Bernadette’s leg it has been about five straight months of chicken nursing and trying to balance quality and quantity of life. I suspect I am not done with that yet.
Maggie will be on antibiotics for five days but at least for now she is happy and energetic and I am determined to enjoy what time I have with her and the others.

❤️❤️❤️❤️ to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom