You should read up a bit and look at some pictures until you feel confident - when I get a minute later I will post some for you - but there are lots on this site.
Basically the airway is in the middle at the back of the tongue and the oesophagus is behind and goes on both sides and is more oriented to the chicken's right.
So, if you put something to the side on the chicken's right it will go down into the crop.
Once you have popped the thing in let the chicken move its head freely and it will 'adjust' things.
@micstrachan is really the expert here so she can probably describe it better. I like to think of it as putting it inside the chicken's cheek - which is nonsense because they don't really have cheeks but that is what it feels like to me!
The key is to keep it to the side and then let her handle it from there!

Edited to add: Of course the real key is having a treat immediately handy to say thank you for being a good girl!
OK. This makes perfect sense. Thank you so much!

Observations

I'm going to have a few of these tonight.

i think Hattie is picking up bad habits from Éowyn.
20220814_182526.jpg
20220814_182119.jpg
20220814_173134.jpg

I read vinyl is toxic and some even treatmented with lead.
I was hoping to find a non toxic coverage that I can remove as the weather heats up. I was using the reflective silver plastic but really felt it had to go as its been there for a long time. I may have to get more of it but not sure of the toxins in it.

Thanks so much for adding your input and @RoyalChick
Honestly, I am not sure why you don't like cardboard. I use it in my duck coop (they have really messy, watery poops) I put it under their bedding. I like using it, I change it out as needed, and it goes right into the compost with their bedding. It is free - I usually inquire at TSC and at appliance stores. So, in theory, you could lay it down in late Sept. or Oct., and as long as there is plenty of bedding, it can stay in until March. (my duck coop can't stay that long, as they are, again MESSY. ) If you wanted something for the winter but that you could remove in spring, I would go with the previous suggestion of rubber stall mat. Easy to clean, durable, and removable in spring if you don't want it year round. If you want it year rounds, linoleum end can be permanent and, as was pointed out, any off gassing should have been done. In the US, lead isn't used in linoleum/vinyl flooring ( not since late 70s. was used in floor tiles, but not anymore)

3 bushfires within 5 miles in the last 3 weeks. Come payday I need to drop off more water and Gatorade at the fire station.
That’s a wonderful present to them. Fire and police are often forgotten and simple gestures are welcome with them ❤️

Our community was wonderful coming together for the dairy barn fire last week, the pizza place bought up pizzas to feed the fire crews - it was a 4 alarm fire, had four townships fire crews out. Tim Hortons (coffee and donut franchise here) bought up coffe and snacks, all the local farms help transport the cows to a farm were they could be milked and will be sold off ( it will be at least 3. Yrs to rebuild the dairy they figure).

Such a wonderful coming together of everyone. All in all 150 cows were saved - they lost about 50 - they were just starting milking when the fire started so they were able to get the main barn cleared out fast but the other barn was fully engulfed and tragically couldn’t save them 😢😢😢

The four silos came down this week as they were just smouldering with the silage and hay-lage stores there. They brought Hoes and knocked them down😥😥😥😥

So when I hear of people doing simple gestures to support and thank the local fire and police crews I am a happy person, it’s a thankless job sometimes!

Thankful and grateful tax
B3E24056-C5A3-4DDF-87A0-B738E91544F1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom