Observations

Some crows just flew overhead and Lady Featherington just gave the alarm. The three of them ducked into the courtyard. The Big Girls looked up and kept at what they were doing.
Interesting. I find my Hooligans to be very alert to the hawk (who incidentally has really worn his welcome thin - he is around ALL THE TIME) but they ignore the crows who returned today.
Hoping the crows see off the hawk like they did in the past but I am not optimistic.

No bath was had. Just sitting around doing nothing.
There was a lot of sitting around doing nothing at the Chicken Palace today (except me unfortunately!). They aren't keen on venturing out because the hawk is constantly going back and forth and screeching. I have added more cover but they are sensibly staying under the protection of the Chicken Palace.
It was a nice comfy doing nothing feel - all four together. Even Lulu sat still for a while.

❤️

How are your lovely ladies now?
Light is doing really well, actively scratching and hunting all over the yard. She has a full crop going roosting.

Since the girls appear to be fine with Inky this morning (granted that was when the head bully Ginger was laying an egg), we did an experiment and put her back in the big run under our monitoring. It was only fine for 2 minutes and they wanted to kill her again. Poor thing. She will have her own free range tomorrow morning. (I do have a feeling that taking Ginger out for a while may resolve the issue, but we don't have that kind of energy and accommodation at the moment, especially this may still fail.)

Here is a picture of Foxy on the swing. She is on the swing a lot but I haven't had my camera with me most of the time. This is the best I got.
IMG_20220812_103059.jpg

I thought it was odd that Rosie wasn't laying, everything about her said she was, then I found these while watering last night
20220815_185833~3.jpg

One might be a Brenna egg. Thank goodness it was a bit cooler this weekend. Rosie has never made a wild nest before. This one might have been fine if it wasn't but i lt out of my flower bed and as public as possible!
20220815_185908~2.jpg

Light is doing really well, actively scratching and hunting all over the yard. She has a full crop going roosting.

Since the girls appear to be fine with Inky this morning (granted that was when the head bully Ginger was laying an egg), we did an experiment and put her back in the big run under our monitoring. It was only fine for 2 minutes and they wanted to kill her again. Poor thing. She will have her own free range tomorrow morning. (I do have a feeling that taking Ginger out for a while may resolve the issue, but we don't have that kind of energy and accommodation at the moment, especially this may still fail.)

Here is a picture of Foxy on the swing. She is on the swing a lot but I haven't had my camera with me most of the time. This is the best I got.
View attachment 3225634
So cool - you are the first person whose chickens I have heard of actually using a swing. What fun!
How about an experiment tomorrow where you swap Ginger and Inky for a couple of hours so Ginger is on her own in Inky's place and Inky is in with the others (supervised of course), and then swap them back. If it goes well you could try for longer the following day.
I am so happy to hear about Light!

Someone’s been eating eggs in my tribe! :barnie I have no idea who it is, but I’m watching the coop closely now. 👀
Rats, skunks and opossums, foxes, among others, will eat eggs. Might you have rats? They will come out during the day if it is in a darkish or protected spot....

Back
Top Bottom