This is wonderful! I suspect that it went as well for a couple of reasons:
*the lowest of the adults are gone - they tend to be the ones that start trouble with newcomers
*Lulu has been 'interacting' with them regularly - in a very non-aggressive manner
*Bernadette is smart and hasn't made any moves (yes, I'm looking at YOU, Glynda!👀)
*They have all just experienced loss, and may be closer because of it.
*Remember how the trio didn't mingle? I think there is something to being 2 versus 3 + - ??maybe 2 are friends, 3 +is a flock??? Based on the sleep thing from @Ponypoor , you need at least 3 to have a 'middle one' that can totally relax & sleep both sides of brain?????

So, the above are suppositions/ponderings based on their behavior and some behaviors in my flock dynamics at times.

Any thoughts on the ponderings? @RoyalChick @BY Bob @rural mouse @ChicoryBlue @Kris5902
That all rings true. There is definitely something different about two versus three. I noticed it from the start with three and as soon as they sadly became a twosome.
I also think Lulu plays an important role. She rarely gets pecked at by anyone. She is sort of a harmless ‘pet’. She gets away with murder as a result! This evening I brought mash (laced with probiotics). Lulu was first in and all three of the others stared at her for a few seconds before diving in themselves. It was comical. You could see a sort of collective shrug like ‘well it’s Lulu, what do you expect?!’.
I have no idea what she is saying, but the fact that she is always chattering seems important too. She never blindsides anyone because she is nattering away all the while.
Finally I think the hawk played a role. I have not locked them in due to the hawk but they have been much more reluctant to stray very far. So they have been closer together for several days now due to that. Bernadette and Maggie hung out on the doorstep - under cover but looking at the view - for quite a while today as an example.
I find it fascinating particularly as Lulu and Bernadette make their roosting decision together going back and forth endlessly over it.
Overall I am happy they are all together. I hope it lasts. I worry Bernadette may get a bit full of herself once she starts laying.
We will see.

Here's how I gave them their names.
The brown chicken is Grandma (middle). I gave her this name because ever since she was four, she has just been walking slowly. It could be because of her weight but she weighs 5 lbs and that's about an average weight for a chicken (actual average weight for a chicken is 5.7 lbs). She is currently molting and I will enter the contest that is specifically for molted chickens. She is our oldest chicken at 6 years old.
Next is Tony (left). I originally named him because the definition for Tony means fancy and I was thinking maybe Tony looks fancy. That was just one of the reasons why I named him Tony or maybe I just named him Tony because I like the name and it suits him. He's 5 years old.
Parmesan is in the other photo. Both Parmesan and Mozzarella are Leghorn chickens. They are both named after cheese. People get confused on who is who and how I can tell them apart. Parmesan's comb is not overly covered but sways on the left side and Mozzarella's left side is well covered. Parmesan is more broodier than Mozzarella and will bite, especially when food is involved. Mozzarella keeps it cool and no attempt in biting has ever happened. They are both 2 years old.
OMG that first picture of the chooks playing a board game is adorable!! :love Have you submitted it to Picture of the Week?

This is wonderful! I suspect that it went as well for a couple of reasons:
*the lowest of the adults are gone - they tend to be the ones that start trouble with newcomers
*Lulu has been 'interacting' with them regularly - in a very non-aggressive manner
*Bernadette is smart and hasn't made any moves (yes, I'm looking at YOU, Glynda!👀)
*They have all just experienced loss, and may be closer because of it.
*Remember how the trio didn't mingle? I think there is something to being 2 versus 3 + - ??maybe 2 are friends, 3 +is a flock??? Based on the sleep thing from @Ponypoor , you need at least 3 to have a 'middle one' that can totally relax & sleep both sides of brain?????

So, the above are suppositions/ponderings based on their behavior and some behaviors in my flock dynamics at times.

Any thoughts on the ponderings? @RoyalChick @BY Bob @rural mouse @ChicoryBlue @Kris5902
I know really very little, but what you're saying about 2 versus 3 jives with just an intuitive sense I have that each pair now wants/needs the other pair to form a tribe.

I was thinking about this today while hanging with the Buckeyes and watching Hazel lightly peck Butters, Butters shoulder Popcorn out of her foraging interest, and then Popcorn avoid Hazel's ire while eating next to her. I wondered if they actually liked each other or just are forced to get along, or some of both.

They are four distinct individuals, but they have a strong drive to be a tribe and hang together regardless of their personalities. That drive dominates and serves to protect the individuals. If it were a larger group, or if I were to introduce three or four new chicks next year I think they would likely remain two separate sub-groups. Hard to say because these four grew up with each other, and the new chicks would too. Didn't someone just mention that Shad thought a rooster would have three or four "favorites"? Maybe that's the basic "flock" size?

My chooks change friends every day it seems. One day, they might like a certain hen, and another on a different day. Sometimes even violently they might gang up on, let’s say a broody hen, or the lowest of the pecking order. (Sadly there is always one on the bottom) I probably will never figure out the dynamics of the tribe. (I think I will stick to quantum physics instead) :old :idunno

@Marie2020 You will be happy to hear everyone (including Inky) was out free ranging while Ginger was grounded (since she hunted Inky as soon as she's out, she's fast when she wants to be).

Later, Inky insisted to go inside the house to lay her egg while Light was inside the house laying her egg... They had a bokbokbok competition and Light left the house. Sometimes Light would go back to the usual nest box, but this time, 10 minutes later Light went back to the deck door. Fortunately Inky was done with her business so she left the house.

Light was happy to be inside in her favorite nesting spot, but was pissed that Inky "destroyed" her nest (Inky makes really nice deep nest) 😂 .

Very quickly Light laid a very nice egg!

I have no chicken pictures right now and will post my lotus flower.
View attachment 3226064
Princess sometimes lays her egg outside. I 🤔 I will make and outside laying box for her

It's a squash. I chopped it up and threw it into olive oil then lightly cooked it in my skittle with a lot of garlic a turmeric. I didn't over cook it to save all the nutrients. That alone was my main meal :drool
Do you by chance have an easy way to make eggplant that doesnt require cheese red sauce or spicy seasoning? My husbands coworker gifted me one and I havent had it since I was little. No Im not giving any to the chicks!

Fire 🔥! Up the highway from me only 30 miles East. Eyes watering. Smell of smoke in the air. But it’s 45% contained. Power outages at my cabin and surrounding areas. I’m glad I didn’t go up there this week. I’m down in the valley with my animal friends.
Tax: View attachment 3226801
Be careful and stay inside - protect your lungs - those fine particles can cause a lot of issues with breathing.

Jaffar is your oldest kiddo so might keep him inside also if you can . Bad air quality is such horrible thing for people and animals.

Back
Top Bottom