Welsummers have large combs, but if the chest out (and higher) is normal from that one, then yes you have a boy
Yes he is the one the first looks up at me first comes over first and checks me out. He has also chest bumped another suspected male in the group. He always carries himself like he is the king of the pack n play too lol. Watch he will turn out to be she just to make us all scratch our heads.

We will have a interesting few weeks ahead of us for sure. I am going to pull out a different set tomorrow. I will post the pics of them if its okay with everyone. I only know a few of the breeds for sure at this point.

Last edited:
Observations and a Question:

My 13 babies are 18 days old and today one of them decided that flying up on top of the water jar was a fine way to see past the cardboard blocking the view.

I see where this is going and I have noted the speed at which new discoveries travel through the group.

A top has been added to the pack n play and they are all glaring at me. They don't seem at all pleased that I have foiled their plan to explore the living room and practice flying.

Wow they learn to fly fast!

I have a question for you all. With no mama raising the babies do you take them out for a short period of time to explore so long as its warm enough of course or do you wait to do that until they are more feathered?
Heat is the issue. I usually do not take chicks outside until they are fully feathered for that reason. I don't want to bring the heat plate in and out with them. If you take them out you should also take a heat source.

Who would have thought that she liked Ann Murray? :idunno
What she didn’t like four strong winds?!

I was just out in the barn crooning that to the horses ❤️ Even Mr Pompei seemed to be soothed by it 😁

Four strong winds that blow lonely,
Seven seas that run high
All those things that don’t change come what may……

Think I’ll head out, to Alberta
Where there’s work there in the Fall
Dum-de-diddle-de-dum-de-diddle-de-dum-de-dooooooo
……

Now that is something I am hoping for! Work in Alberta!!!! Gotta keep my chickies and ponies in feed!

Oooooh, you might have a boy there. In the first pic, the front-most one seems to have quite a bit of comb and a cockerel stance. Also has pretty rugged looking legs, but the other chick isn't positioned well enough to compare well. Anyone else want to confirm/negate? @rural mouse is usually pretty good at this , @BY Bob , too (when it isn't Jabberewocky!) (& @RebeccaBoyd , but I'm not sure if she is back on yet. :(:hugs)
Despite the cheap shot on Jabberwockey I will contribute. :tongue

That front most one screams rooster to me too. It stands much like need and Jabber did. Has a little too much comb for my liking too. Probably a boy.

Back
Top Bottom