That might work...has adjustable legs to accommodate for her sloped floor. Might be a bit of a job getting the frame over the roost. Unless @RoyalChick is a decent sewer...then she could put velcro or other tabs on each corner and hang the canopy cover without the awkward framing.....🤔 Love the flap for the back, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking with the sheet.

That said, her idea of an umbrella would probably work really well....a rain umbrella (larger one) that is smaller than those big patio umbrellas, and tend to be a bit more curved.....as long as the handle doesn't get in the way.

That might work...has adjustable legs to accommodate for her sloped floor. Might be a bit of a job getting the frame over the roost. Unless @RoyalChick is a decent sewer...then she could put velcro or other tabs on each corner and hang the canopy cover without the awkward framing.....🤔 Love the flap for the back, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking with the sheet.

That said, her idea of an umbrella would probably work really well....a rain umbrella (larger one) that is smaller than those big patio umbrellas, and tend to be a bit more curved.....as long as the handle doesn't get in the way.
I could always chop the handle off.

RAT

01:10hrs

Nothing wakes you up completely then when scrolling through you barn cams and you see a RAT in your hen house. Seems my rat zapper is not doing it's job.

Screenshot_20220927-011550.jpeg

Hmmm. Difficult. It is well insulated and in winter it gets good passive solar heat through the glass door. It is reliably several degrees warmer than the outside at dawn when it is coldest.
What I think I could do is get a wall mounted flat panel heater and figure how to mount it behind the main roost at chicken height. I would need to use plywood to create a wall across the window glass - but maybe I could screw a board in at the start of winter - or figure how to hang it - and then mount the heater to the board.
Then they would have heat right at their sleeping height and they would benefit before the heat wafts upwards.
If you can build a lean-to of sorts with walls and a roof then position the panel heater in front and a few inches below them the rising heat will be captured in the lean-to.

This is similar to the effect I had with the silkies - I put the panel in front of the nestbox they were brooding in and the heat was trapped in there keeping them warm.

It has not stopped raining here and I do mean RAIN. Heavy pelting down miserable rain.

The chickies didn’t even want to go out yesterday, preferred to stay roosting when I got home. Guess today will be a repeat…

Ok - must. Get. Some. Sleep. 😟
We are supposed to get rain Wednesday, fingers crossed, we need it. Plus i have my eye appointment on wed. and clouds will make it bearable to drive home afterwards.
20220923_091427~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom