Beautiful and tender! What a nice tribute. I was in tears at the end but I really loved this! 😍 😍 :hit😢❤️:hugs❤️❤️

I do have a suggestion /request: Do you think you might somehow picture / paint her friends too? Mug shots, or body pics, small insets to the page, or however... I was sort of wanting to see each hen referred to with the last lines in each "refrain." I know them all, but some /many readers won't know the references.
I also had the thought that she’s up with Patsy and all the rest of the flock who’ve passed on tanking care of her now…

Gucci Didn't Care

There seems to be a bit of sadness around here today with the loss of Tegan and Lucky's illness to just name 2. Sometimes i find it helpful to look back at a life that was and remember at times like these.

The loss of Gucci was very hard on Mrs. BY Bob and myself. We thought we were turning the corner with her but she just didn't make it. For whatever reason, I was inspired by the event. It feels odd to say that but it is true. Out of that inspiration came a very long poem. I have been refining it for some time with the help of some family and friends. After a while I started thinking that it might make a good children's book.

What is attached is essentially a final draft of that book. I am reaching out to someone to have the photos turned into watercolor illustrations and then I plan to try and get it published. If nothing else I will self publish. I really want Eve and any future grandchildren I might have to have a copy.

So here it is. Please be kind. I hope you like it. It has been a labor of love. I can now read it and not cry so I figure it is time to share. Perhaps everyone can find some joy in remembering.
It’s a beautiful tribute to her Bob. :hugs

I hope you like it. It has been a labor of love.
I love this. If you publish it, I would buy a copy.
I think the poem conveys all your feelings about it, and I agree it would make a beautiful children's book if you find the right person to illustrate it.
A beautiful book to read to a child, because it's also for people of any age. We've all suffered a loss of someone close, and this could be a tribute to anyone dear.

They must have short memories, saying this because the landing looks rough. Ours choose not to roost high.
These Silkies are giving me grey hair! They want to roost with the big girls but they fly worth crap!

And I don't want them roosting on the ground nest boxes in case of rats!

sheesh! :he

Anyways she is running around as usual today...

You know, I lost another hen last week because of this!!!

In my 'route 66' flock, I have 4-5 that like to roost in trees. One (of course, a DC girl) I can never find. In the morning, she comes running over and wants back in the coop/run complex so she can eat...but she is ALWAYS already down on the ground hovering around the coop - so no hint of where she sleeps. I've been telling her for months that one of these days she will no longer be there to greet me in the morning. :(Last Tuesday was the day:(. And it was confirmed when I later found 2 clumps of her feathers with skin attached.

I love my DC girls, partially just because they are so independent, closer to their wild breathren....but I also sometimes hate that they are so independent - because of times like this.:( I am very sad at the loss, but I had steeled myself for it all summer - the darn independent cuss
Oh no! I am sorry to hear this :( silly birds... giving us grey hair...

I love this. If you publish it, I would buy a copy.

A beautiful book to read to a child, because it's also for people of any age. We've all suffered a loss of someone close, and this could be a tribute to anyone dear.
I think it is also good in many other ways. We aren't the same (she can't walk) but others 'stop by' to say hello, and she stays positive. There a re a very diverse set of hens that stop by and spend time with Gucci.....and such. So wonderful in so many ways....maybe not intended, but still there!

These Silkies are giving me grey hair! They want to roost with the big girls but they fly worth crap!

And I don't want them roosting on the ground nest boxes in case of rats!

sheesh! :he

Anyways she is running around as usual today...
Can you put the nest boxes up off the floor a wee bit? (Like on 2x4s or left over floor bricks something?) Then the rat could run under them:gig instead of into them?

When you are home for Christmas break, that is, obviously not now!

Back
Top Bottom