The sad thing is, if anyone has ever paid any attention to roosting dynamics, the majority of us have at least 1 hen that does just that. When Daisy was alive I first had to have Drummie, and then Bubba sleep in-between her and Holly. Daisy was not the problem, Holly was. She could not sleep next to her sister without violently pecking her until she fled from the roost. Daisy passed and Bubba decided he wanted to sleep on the other roost with most of the girls. That left poor Holly all alone. I felt bad for her and decided to find her someone to sleep next to her. I went through half the flock before she finally found someone she would not toss down and that is Twig. Granted she did throw him down a few times but he decided he liked that roost and kept coming back for more. Now, I do not know if he really likes the roost, or really really likes snuggling up to a bossy hen. Either way, she can no longer evict him.
Since I am out here the roosting dynamics are all over the place! Mum puts Marty in her cubby hole, and the silkies up on the top roost 'because they are trying to get up there'...

:th
Meanwhile I log in during the night and have to watch while Marty throws herself out into outer space in the pitch dark !!! Don't think it's light in there - those Infra Red lights make it look bright - it's actually pitch dark in there! Why the little munchkin would do that is beyond me - but she feels the need to get down and roost on the bottom nest box - sometimes she pops out an egg sometimes not! Oi boy.....

An then past few nights Whiskers has decided she is going to roost with Mr P who repeatedly tries to peck her into getting down! But she ignores him and turns her back to him - he relents eventually! Every night I check them its a whole new adventure!

You stay away from me Mr! Being sick in Camp is no fun!

Awww - such a good chicken papa. other than the no crowing rule! :)

I have my cameras on while I am eating breakfast and Mr P crows up a storm while I am checking emails - just like home :) Not sure what the Engineering Intern will think next week when he arrives and hears that at 5:30AM hahaha!
Whenever I travel to colder climates I double up on the vitamin C.

You know, I want to hear how Mrs. BY Bob would phrase Aurora's point of view.
Mrs BY Bob thinks everyone should get along. She doesn't understand any other point of view. Aurora agrees that everyone should get along but only under her rule and by doing what she tells them to do. 😆

Where is the moisture coming from? Where do you see the mold?
Is the moisture coming from their breath? Are they all closed in at night and could use some non-drafty ventilation?
It just sort of smelled damp, I think there's enough ventilation, we have had a lot of mist and fog which couldn't have helped matters.

There's vents by the roof the top of their door and airflow below from their run.

It’s that virus that’s going around! :old
They are dropping like flies here with flus and virus's.

A couple of weeks ago I was invited to a lovely old pub but I'm so pleased I didn't go... I suspected there'd be something going around, my friend caught something while she was there and has been ill ever since 😞

Last edited:
The sad thing is, if anyone has ever paid any attention to roosting dynamics, the majority of us have at least 1 hen that does just that. When Daisy was alive I first had to have Drummie, and then Bubba sleep in-between her and Holly. Daisy was not the problem, Holly was. She could not sleep next to her sister without violently pecking her until she fled from the roost. Daisy passed and Bubba decided he wanted to sleep on the other roost with most of the girls. That left poor Holly all alone. I felt bad for her and decided to find her someone to sleep next to her. I went through half the flock before she finally found someone she would not toss down and that is Twig. Granted she did throw him down a few times but he decided he liked that roost and kept coming back for more. Now, I do not know if he really likes the roost, or really really likes snuggling up to a bossy hen. Either way, she can no longer evict him.
I have watched Aurora pull Sydney off of the high roost by jumping up to grab her and using her weight to pull her down once she got a beakfull of feathers. It was amazing. She has also grabbed Phyllis by the "hair" pulled her off the roost and drug her out of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom