A disposable nail file might be a better option. I will try that this afternoon after my eye dr appointment. I can do the nail file option by myself which will probably be less stressful on Branch.
A spur is really tough. You might want to opt for a metal nail file....will take forever with the cardboard nail files. Ask me how I know a metal fingernail file works better!!

And some more Monday Mugs. Took some of these a few days ago but not sure if I posted them or not.

Speedy
AEA7A0BD-0405-42D2-B0DC-068D3DA99F55.jpeg

Scarlett
DDF4D8E3-EBDC-4C27-828A-D9B0FAF702F3.jpeg

Ruby
BED6EF9B-864D-4CA2-9743-FAB29F0802E3.jpeg

Letter a looks just like your Bernie! What about the base of it, this is very interesting. Yes I thought they are supposed to be very short.
Will check the ladies for these, but I had my face in everyone's backside a couple of days ago looking for any mites resurgence and didn't notice anything like this. But I was focused on their skin... I don't think I've even seen a filoplume on them though they've got to be there.
Yes. I have now read a lot about them. All birds have them and unlike other feathers they have a rich nerve supply and so are believed to play a role in sensing external stuff - including the state of feathers. Normally they are all over the bird and are normally quite short.
I think Bernadette is unusual in having such long ones but I haven't noticed it having any ill effect.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

This is Bernadette. She has these strange feathers. They are like long, fine, silky hairs - like an extended fluff feather but with only the shaft and a few feathery bits at the end.
This is not new - I have noticed them for a while now but hadn't got a good photo to share until today.
She is acting normally - and as you can see it is not all her fluff feathers, but it is not just a couple either.
Any ideas?
Is it worth posting on the illnesses and injuries forum? At this stage it is more a curiosity than a concern - but it would be good to know if someone else has seen it before.
WDYT?

View attachment 3340696View attachment 3340697View attachment 3340698
I once had a sapphire gem with the same thing.
Tell me if you figure it out.

I got ahold of Branch and brought him inside for tv time. We found a episode of Dead Files on Discovery plus. My rooster is picky, he only likes to watch ghosts or murder mystery shows on Investigation Discovery. He settled down in my lap and I went to work. I filed for about 10 minutes with him not having a care in the world. Once he started to get antsy I quit for the day. He then proceeded to get comfortable and finish the show before I let him back out. Every time I bring him in now I will work on that spur. I know I could cut them, I've saw videos. I've also saw videos where people twist them off. Both of them involved a little bit of blood and I do not want to hurt my boy.
Here is the offending spur, it is a start but we have a long way to go.
DSCN9479.JPG
DSCN9480.JPG

All done and ready to really watch his tv show.
DSCN9482.JPG
DSCN9483.JPG

Back
Top Bottom