So I'm really up waiting on my egg lady to come pick up 4 dozen eggs. After today I sort of go in isolation. Surgery is this Monday. I wont know what time until sometime Friday when the hospital calls. The next few days should be fun. At the dr appointment she put me on myfembre to stop the hormone production. She gave me samples instead of writing a prescription. It took a week but it finally did what it was supposed to do and after the first week only had a few hot flashes. Mood swings....there have been plenty. I took the last pill yesterday. I had called and was told to come in to get another weeks worth of samples from a nurse, go there yesterday, they are out. They decided it would be ok to go off of them until the surgery. I hope not but I fear the excessive bleeding and pain will return in a day or two. Yes the meds are a little rough with hot flashes and mood swings, but, it was worth it for 3 weeks of almost feeling normal for a change.
Why didn't they just put you on that in the first place ??

Ask Aurora

This week's question comes from Lorna.

View attachment 3343103

She asks:

Dear Aurora,

Why did Aunty Peggy try to bite me when I said hello? She was mean to me and it hurt my feelings.

Love from Lorna

Lorna Dear,
I can only surmise that you are a young pullet based upon your language and the phrase "Aunty Peggy". I thought this might be the same Peggy with whom I am friends on Beakbook. So I hit her up with a PM and sure enough, there is a Lorna that is a new pullet that has invaded Peggy’s space.

Now I know Peggy pretty well so I am going to give you some very important advice. Please whatever you do, listen to me. It will save you much pain.

Peggy is your better. Know you place little one.

Peggy eats first. She gets all the tastiest morsels. She gets the prime roosting spot. Frankly, she gets whatever she wants. If she wants that most excellent dust bathing hole which you have been working to make for days, she gets it. Peggy has earned this respect and you best give it.

This is “The Way of the Chicken”.

You are a chicken.

Follow the way.

This is also important, Stay out of her way.

She has every right to peck you just because you exist and your existence irritates her. Should she one night tear you off the roost and toss you out of the coop, you should thank her for doing so because you must have offended her and therefore should be taught a lesson.

This is ever “The Way of the Chicken”.

Now Peggy won’t always be around so if you are a smart little pullet, you should start plotting your takeover now. That way someday everyone will have to get out of your way and give you the best of everything. You should start with those other 2 pullets that came with you. You need to start out by forcing them to your will. Once you have them under your control then write me again and we can discuss how you push your way past the other older hens.

Helpful Hint: It is important to remember that whoever lays an egg first moves up in status. Be certain that you lay your first egg before the other two. Otherwise you will need to force you way past anyone who lays before you and many weeks’ worth of work will be lost.

Remember, it’s “The Way of the Chicken”. It is right and good that you should be pecked and learn your place. Be sure to thank Peggy every time she does it.

View attachment 3343104

By the way Lorna, did @MaryJanet name you after a cookie? How unfortunate. Although I do find them delicious.

View attachment 3343105
The Way of The Chicken

Hahahahaha Ma'am Aurora - as a 'mere Human' who is trying to learn the way of the chicken better, I find that your approach while frightening, is quite refreshening.

Though I think that Humans will not be so enlightened as Chickens....

My pony Sunday picView attachment 3343123Just a reminder......

This morning....View attachment 3343124South side...

View attachment 3343125East side....View attachment 3343127View attachment 3343128More east side.....

View attachment 3343126North side....

Until I opened the door to go open the coop (while the west neighbor had her pups out, making the deer slightly nervous).

Not everyone came outside, but there was a general floodView attachment 3343134View attachment 3343136View attachment 3343132View attachment 3343129Moulters appear to be done dropping feathers, just working on growing the rest back in. Primula and Maizie seem to be bearing the brunt of the Idiots' attentions....making their eggs prime candidates for broody come April.
That's amazing they come so close during the daytime! I see tracks all over the yard from night time, but I never see deer during the day. So lovely!

I see you have a heat lamp on - are you not worried about them? Everyone seems to have some sort of opinion on them.

I must say I have never seen anything like it.
It goes beyond the ‘get out of my spot’ sort of thing that seems common.
It also seems to go beyond deep personal animosity which seems to happen though less commonly.
She is a strange lady for sure!
Aurora says roosting is a privilege, not a right!
There's a competitiveness I see throughout the pecking order, but Hazel seems to take it to another level too. She pursues and pushes off Popcorn if there's any food or treats involved, even if there are multiple spots of the same thing around and plenty for everyone. All the chickens like to forage around and change it up, but as you say this goes beyond that. She looks over, sees Popcorn enjoying something, and immediately must put a stop to it and take over. She'll go across the run to do it.

So I'm really up waiting on my egg lady to come pick up 4 dozen eggs. After today I sort of go in isolation. Surgery is this Monday. I wont know what time until sometime Friday when the hospital calls. The next few days should be fun. At the dr appointment she put me on myfembre to stop the hormone production. She gave me samples instead of writing a prescription. It took a week but it finally did what it was supposed to do and after the first week only had a few hot flashes. Mood swings....there have been plenty. I took the last pill yesterday. I had called and was told to come in to get another weeks worth of samples from a nurse, go there yesterday, they are out. They decided it would be ok to go off of them until the surgery. I hope not but I fear the excessive bleeding and pain will return in a day or two. Yes the meds are a little rough with hot flashes and mood swings, but, it was worth it for 3 weeks of almost feeling normal for a change.
So glad you had a stretch of normalcy! I hope you have an easy next few days. There is a good chance if it took a week to have effect it will not wear off that fast. Fingers crossed for you there. :hugs

Ask Aurora

This week's question comes from Lorna.

View attachment 3343103

She asks:

Dear Aurora,

Why did Aunty Peggy try to bite me when I said hello? She was mean to me and it hurt my feelings.

Love from Lorna

Lorna Dear,
I can only surmise that you are a young pullet based upon your language and the phrase "Aunty Peggy". I thought this might be the same Peggy with whom I am friends on Beakbook. So I hit her up with a PM and sure enough, there is a Lorna that is a new pullet that has invaded Peggy’s space.

Now I know Peggy pretty well so I am going to give you some very important advice. Please whatever you do, listen to me. It will save you much pain.

Peggy is your better. Know you place little one.

Peggy eats first. She gets all the tastiest morsels. She gets the prime roosting spot. Frankly, she gets whatever she wants. If she wants that most excellent dust bathing hole which you have been working to make for days, she gets it. Peggy has earned this respect and you best give it.

This is “The Way of the Chicken”.

You are a chicken.

Follow the way.

This is also important, Stay out of her way.

She has every right to peck you just because you exist and your existence irritates her. Should she one night tear you off the roost and toss you out of the coop, you should thank her for doing so because you must have offended her and therefore should be taught a lesson.

This is ever “The Way of the Chicken”.

Now Peggy won’t always be around so if you are a smart little pullet, you should start plotting your takeover now. That way someday everyone will have to get out of your way and give you the best of everything. You should start with those other 2 pullets that came with you. You need to start out by forcing them to your will. Once you have them under your control then write me again and we can discuss how you push your way past the other older hens.

Helpful Hint: It is important to remember that whoever lays an egg first moves up in status. Be certain that you lay your first egg before the other two. Otherwise you will need to force you way past anyone who lays before you and many weeks’ worth of work will be lost.

Remember, it’s “The Way of the Chicken”. It is right and good that you should be pecked and learn your place. Be sure to thank Peggy every time she does it.

View attachment 3343104

By the way Lorna, did @MaryJanet name you after a cookie? How unfortunate. Although I do find them delicious.

View attachment 3343105
Not the cookie thing again! It's going to haunt me forever :gig

That is awesome Bob. It's so Aurora!

:lau
:lau:lau:gig:gig:gig

I would not take them out until they are fully feathered. They will need a heat source and constant watching for signs of them getting cold. I would not want to risk losing them because I wasn't watching. They can turn cold very quickly.
Yea thats why they are still inside they need their feathers.

Back
Top Bottom