Yes, @Ponypoor and @ChicoryBlue I have the coffee table that the chooks can run under. Rectangular, and was perfect size to drape an opened grain bag over & put roosts on top. The 'sides' (which are the grain bag) give them a bit of privacy if they are low in the pecking order and want to hide for a bit and/or get away from the roos!

I recently picked up another wooden coffee table that will be going out in the chook's run once I get it urethaned. This one, however, is round. I don't think I like it as much as you can't make a 'chunnel' (a chunnel is a chicken tunnel)out of it as easily, but it will still be a place they can run under to get away from the roos, and something to hop on top of, too.

I have 'things' in their runs for enrichment, but I think I need to add more. Once I get the run expanded, the compost will be inside the run, and with the little bit of extra space, I think I would like to build a stick gazebo like @MaryJanet did, only have a few cross sticks for them to hop up onto going up the gazebo, so they can get sort of high. That said, the extending of the run, putting in of metal fencing along the road like @BY Bob has around his garden, and building another coop will keep my busy for a while once the ground thaws. (the coop will be big & heavy, needs to be built in place. - and need the run expanded - at least on that end - first.)

Pictures of the wooden coffee table 'chunnel', please excuse it's obvious dirtiness, I've had/used it for 5 or 6 years now. I need to remove the wooden runners along the top and replace the bag this spring. That said, 'I've got my money's worth' from it as it was free on the side of the road! The runners were left over scraps, the roosts are, as you can see, branches. And, I put 2x4 base (the long way) under the legs for more stability (and to keep the small leg ends from rotting). Those were also left over pieces. I find my chickens don't 'roost' per se up there, but they hop up on it often, occasionally will preen for a bit, but usually just hop up for a few minutes ... then go on their way. They do run under it frequently - especially in the spring with the Roo's hormones running high, and occasionally a chicken or a duck will think it is a good spot to make a nest (a couple of times a year.) When I picked it up, I was earlier in my chicken keeping and wasn't sure about it, but it has been one of the best additions to my run in terms of use by the chooks. (second only to my raised dirt-bath with roosts behind it!)View attachment 3436852View attachment 3436853View attachment 3436856

It is second to this:View attachment 3436867
Which only cost $5 and a few branches and screw!
I am going to do something like this with my run, a place for them to hide and play.

So, I am back. How was it? It was great. I didn't get a lot of photos from the interstate there was no traffic from here to back so that is a good thing. We came home to 8 eggs, 2 were Tony's and 6 were Parmesan and Mozzarella's so they each laid 3 eggs per day.
What a motherload of eggs.
But Grandma was oh so delighted to see us and let me tell you when I brought her inside, she was crying very weakly like she lost her voice or something. I think she was crying because she was happy to see us.
Aren't you Grandma? (Old photo)
20230226_171305.jpg

Hm... Was that spelling on purpose?... I do know that it is cruel. I will file th em down a little tonight if I can. I do occasionally let him and Bolt out in the big are if the coop (still under construction) to scratch around a little.
Lack of appropriate glasses to see what I was typing in this case 🤭

The frizzle has pink and black skin with 5 toes and the grey one has black skin with 5 toes and another egg just pipped.
Oh I can’t wait to see the next one!!!

Okay, just making sure! Thank you for telling me it was a small amount!!

A mix of Pastel *for sure* and I think Bolt, hence the little beard and muffs. I have more pictures that I will share later, if I can remember.
View attachment 3436875
Oh my gosh!!!! More babies 💕💕 so adorable 🥰

I can take some pictures of what I have and use and try to explain how I do it. It worked the first time, but the second time I never completely got it, and only a few weeks after, she has it again. Darn bird.
Yes hard to treat at times.

He sounds like it 😁 Pastel is kinda dumb and kinda loving, kinda not.
I let him out for a few minutes while I hung out with the ladies and he knocked a tiny shovel (very tiny, he is not hurt) over and it bonked him on the head.
Then he decided to attack it before he realized it was already dead 🤣🤣
:gig :gig :gig :gig

This fine man is Russell. I don't know how, but he slit his toe open completely. It was dripping blood.
I was going to let him and a few of his sibling out, and then let the originals out after, and I saw him holding his foot up.
It took about 20 minutes to slow the bleeding down, even slightly.
Poor little guy. I hope he makes it. He is quite weak. He lost a lit of blood.
I gave him some sugar water, along with some normal water.
View attachment 3436927
poor wee fella, make sure he stays warm, I see you bandaged his foot excellent job.
“Who you calling old? Come on, put’m up! I’ll bite your ankles!”View attachment 3436940
love that photo - hi Jaffar!
Okay, as promised, here are all the babies. Their father is Pastel. Mom could be Bolt, BBQ, or Splotch. At least one of each egg hatched. I'm guessing that the first picture, the golden-gray chick in the hand is a Bolt baby. View attachment 3436991View attachment 3436992View attachment 3436993View attachment 3436994View attachment 3436995View attachment 3436996View attachment 3436997View attachment 3436998View attachment 3436999View attachment 3437000View attachment 3437001View attachment 3437002View attachment 3437004
awwww thanks for sharing! Everyone is getting babies!

Jaffar knows that it’s raining outside. He is very happy with just staying inside the big coop with me and Dakota. I’m thinking we should play monopoly or something. :idunno
I can’t play cards with Jaffar, he cheats.
You could always watch a movie. I am watching Murder on the Orient Express with Inspector Hercule Poirot 🥰

But need to go feed the horses for the night

Reenie waiting for her hay
0B582DB1-5C92-46FA-981C-CD9CF21FEDFB.png

So, I am back. How was it? It was great. I didn't get a lot of photos from the interstate there was no traffic from here to back so that is a good thing. We came home to 8 eggs, 2 were Tony's and 6 were Parmesan and Mozzarella's so they each laid 3 eggs per day.
What a motherload of eggs.
But Grandma was oh so delighted to see us and let me tell you when I brought her inside, she was crying very weakly like she lost her voice or something. I think she was crying because she was happy to see us.
Aren't you Grandma? (Old photo)
View attachment 3437070
Hello grandma ❤️

Glad you are home safe and sound GtC 😊

Back
Top Bottom