I need some advice.... I am thinking if rehoming my Silkie and my three Cochin bantams... to the young lady I was telling yall about.. the one with all the sweet roosters... she has a frizzle bantam who is alone at the moment and thought that my bantams might be happier with him.. being able to breed and hatch eggs as the three Cochins are broody AGAIN!! My question is.. should or could I move them now while they are broody? I was thinking that the move might snap them out if it which would be fine for now... but was also wondering if it’d be too stressful..? Thoughts?
I am torn about this.. cuz when they are laying they lay every day!! And I do love them but they also get picked on a bit... and I know Nilky.. no matter what the big girls do to her.. she seems very content with her flock...
This has been hard. I've been thinking about this quite a bit since you posted it. I'm not sure how to advise you. It feels out of the blue to me.

I think you have to ask yourself why you want to do this. I'm sure the chickens will be well cared for or you wouldn't even consider it, so I don't see that as a factor. I guess as long as they are well cared for and you think it's best, then do it.

Be sure you are ready to let them go is my advice. That's best I can do I think.

Last edited:
Sansa vs Sydney

Sansa's abuse of Sydney is reaching new heights becoming almost non stop. Sydney does not fight back. She just runs away. It seems that unless Sansa is otherwise occupied she is targeting Sydney's back. I've seen her running all the way across the yard to get at her. This incites Sydney to run and causes confusion in the chicks as their mom shoots away.

Last night Sansa would not let Sydney and the chicks into the coop. Now Sydney has enough trouble getting the two of them into the coop to have Sansa chasing and scattering everyone. After running them off twice, Sansa decided to stand guard over the entrance.

That was enough for me. Lord knows I try to let them figure everything out for themselves. Last night I got involved. I went over scooped Sansa up. We had a little conversation about going too far. I put her back on the porch, a small pat on the bum and told her to go to bed.

Did she listen?

Nope.

She went into the coop to fill me but came back out again.

Not my first rodeo, I was waiting.

She got to the end of to porch again and pulled up short when she saw me.

"Go to bed Sansa"

"Bawk. Baaawwwwk"

"Go to bed" "You've done enough"

"Bawk" "Bawk" Bakaawwk"

"No, I said go to bed"

****pat pat ****

"SQUAWK!!!"

"Now go to bed!"

The pat on the bum did it. She turned around and went into the coop but did not roost. She stood just inside the coop door waiting. I looked into the door.

"Go to bed"

She started pacing.

"Go to bed"

Pacing, pacing

"Go to bed"

Flap, flap, flap

Finally! :yesss:

I let Sydney know the coast is clear and left them to finish the process themselves.
You have one stubborn girl there, Bob. I wonder what's set it off...🤔 Is it the chicks, do you think?

Tap and Hurry.
P7034042.JPG

Aurora and Sydney

Before Sydney hatched the chicks Aurora was very anti-Sydney and tried to keep her from roosting the same way as Sansa was trying last night.

The dynamics have changed completely since the chicks hatched. Aurora was the first auntie interested in them and Sydney never ran from Aurora or got upset with her being around the chicks. In fact, she can frequently can be found hanging around the family.

Aurora has become much nicer to Phyllis as well since the chicks were born. The whole thing seems to have made Aurora more secure than she was before. Here she is with Sydney from Friday night.
20200705_171353.jpg

Back
Top Bottom