Take young Lock here. She's a hen. Give her a physical and she ticks all the female boxes.
Lock on the other hand thinks she's a rooster. She has never laid an egg, she treats the other hens like a rooster in many ways. Basically Lock has a sex and a gender identity. In Locks case they don't match. Some of the behaviour I've seen from lock has been truly astounding and often heartbreaking in a nice way. Her relationship with Bracket is something to behold.
Lock and Mag are best mates. Mag never tries to mate with Lock and he watches over her.
At food time, Mag being the junior rooster lets the hens and Punch eat first and stands back with Lock. They tend to eat together. Lock, like the roosters has a noticeably different view of me to the hens.
Try to persuade most chicken keepers that chickens have a gender that can over ride their sex is an uphill struggle. Mention that chickens are more tolerant of these gender differences than humans and you'll have people throwing rocks at you.
Lock is accepted in Tribe 2 as she is. There has never been a problem. The roosters did at one point try to mate with her. They have all stopped trying now.
Usually if a junior hen tries to eat while Punch is eating he'll tell them off. He doesn't if it's Lock.
View attachment 2230213
She is truly a special hen and a wonderful story. I will never understand why people are so closed minded in their perceptions of chickens. If it does not fit their stock imagine then it must not be so.

Evening Bob, just thought you might appreciate this video :)
Excuse the bad camera focus halfway in,
plus I accidentally covered the mic for a few sec.
The chickens have decided the space between the wood panel
and Yuki's cage is a prime sitting and chatting / dirt bathing spot,
they're in and out of there all day, lol :D

You have a beautiful set up and very pretty chickens in it. Thanks for letting us meet them all. I'm very sorry that I missed the crow off. That would have been exceptional to hear.

You have a beautiful set up and very pretty chickens in it. Thanks for letting us meet them all. I'm very sorry that I missed the crow off. That would have been exceptional to hear.
Thank you so much! It took us so long to build, and we did it all ourselves,
just with a little help with the coop from my uncle, so I'm really proud of it!
I love our girls (and boys) and want the best set-up possible for them.
We free range them a couple hours each evening, they love running through that field.
I'll catch them going at it sometime or another, I need to, it's truly hilarious :p
The young Easter Egger male, Max, has such a weird crow, like- "Ba-BA-Bah"! Lol.
Taichi the Japanese bantam just has a high pitched, mostly normal crow.
Still makes me laugh though :D.

Thank you so much! It took us so long to build, and we did it all ourselves,
just with a little help with the coop from my uncle, so I'm really proud of it!
I love our girls (and boys) and want the best set-up possible for them.
We free range them a couple hours each evening, they love running through that field.
I'll catch them going at it sometime or another, I need to, it's truly hilarious :p
The young Easter Egger male, Max, has such a weird crow, like- "Ba-BA-Bah"! Lol.
Taichi the Japanese bantam just has a high pitched, mostly normal crow.
Still makes me laugh though :D.
I can't wait to hear them. 🤣

Evening Bob, just thought you might appreciate this video :)
Excuse the bad camera focus halfway in,
plus I accidentally covered the mic for a few sec.
The chickens have decided the space between the wood panel
and Yuki's cage is a prime sitting and chatting / dirt bathing spot,
they're in and out of there all day, lol :D

You have a lovely set up there and I am sure all the chickens love it. Something wrong with my phone so I couldn’t hear the sound but I really enjoyed the tour!

It was over 93 degrees (34C) here today so I barely made any progress on building the step - just too hot for that kind of work. Then in the evening there was a big storm and the temperature dropped dramatically with heavy rain. There was a nice breeze in the Chicken Palace and everyone seemed fine. I mistakenly thought the little Princesses would not need their heat plate any more. I sat with everyone at bed-time and the littles were peeping up a storm and clearly irritating the big Princesses with their noise. So I turned on the plate and the littles snuggled under and were immediately quiet and went to sleep. I guess it is a comfort thing - they cannot possibly have been cold - but I guess at 5 weeks they are still babies!

Photos from the Weekend

I took a ton of photos over the weekend. I'll post by the hen.

Lilly
I think these photos of Lilly are especially lovely.
20200706_192414.jpg

20200706_192855.jpg

Sansa
Here is Lilly's besty Sansa
20200706_192946.jpg

20200706_192448.jpg

20200706_192548.jpg

Back
Top Bottom