Alex came up with a good solution with bumble foot. Witch Hazel and vasilene . I've also used alcohol and caster oil. They scales eventually drop off on their own the oil suffocates bumble foot. So it's a burn and suffocate methods
For bumblefoot soak 15 minutes a day. Add Bag Balm it draws out the infection and wrap. Do this everyday and eventually you can just pull it out with tweezers, please do not cut it out.

I've had that done a few times. I get absolutely starving
I am so hungry and my hubby is bringing me food from his dads cookout. :( I cant eat til tomorrow afternoon after 3.
IMG_0298.jpeg

I didn't have a scalpel....
And I'm leaving in like 5 seconds. I really hope she is gonna be okay.
I think you made the right decision here in not operating on her right now. It shouldn’t be a hurried affair and your decision to leave it just for that reason was good. Lots of chickens live for a while with a bumblefoot, she is likely to still be here when you return. Second, you should be around for post-surgical wound treatment. Cleaning and dressing changes are very important to prevent further and possibly a more dangerous infection.

I would encourage you to consider less painful and less invasive measures first though, to soak every day and then wrap with the anti-pressure foot wrap, over several days, softening the scab and outer plug, and letting her weight around the plug help to work it out, which lets the hen heal from the inside out.

This takes time & care to do. I have not had a case of bumblefoot here so I’m not speaking from experience, just from what I’ve read. Sometimes this way is not ultimately enough and surgery may be necessary, but if you do a bit more research you’ll see that surgery doesn’t have to be the first treatment.

I think you made the right decision here in not operating on her right now. It shouldn’t be a hurried affair and your decision to leave it just for that reason was good. Lots of chickens live for a while with a bumblefoot, she is likely to still be here when you return. Second, you should be around for post-surgical wound treatment. Cleaning and dressing changes are very important to prevent further and possibly a more dangerous infection.

I would encourage you to consider less painful and less invasive measures first though, to soak every day and then wrap with the anti-pressure foot wrap, over several days, softening the scab and outer plug, and letting her weight around the plug help to work it out, which lets the hen heal from the inside out.

This takes time & care to do. I have not had a case of bumblefoot here so I’m not speaking from experience, just from what I’ve read. Sometimes this way is not ultimately enough and surgery may be necessary, but if you do a bit more research you’ll see that surgery doesn’t have to be the first treatment.
Thanks for sharing, it's always good to know about these things :)

I've added the prid salve to my shopping list 👍

Back
Top Bottom